Oven and Heating System off single MCB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have my oven running from a 20 MCB (oven is protected via a 13amp fuse as hob is gas) and my central heating system running from another 20 MCB (Gas boiler + 3kW immersion heater).

Is it allowable to connect both to one 32 MCB, thus freeing up an MCB space for a future circuit (my CU is full) or would this be against regs? Total cuurent draw for oven and heating is approx 23 amp.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Mark NO, you should not do this.

In fact your boiler and Immersion should not share a protective device either..in an ideal world anyway.

Guess I won't do that then. British Gas installed the heating system (before we bought the house) and have set the immersion and boiler onto the same circuit (but not from within the CU).

But, I shouldn't be surprised - BG are the same muppets who took the gas feed for the boiler from the meter, through the outside wall, along the bottom of the back door frame complete with NO protection on the 15mm copper pipe, up the outside of the wall and back in to the rear of the boiler. It would have been just as easy, safer and less of an eyesore to run the pipe under the floor boards to the boiler location - a run of some 8 feet.

Mark, sounds about right for British Gas these days.

With regards the Immersion and Boiler, are they controlled from a common controller?

I ask as I have noted that you saids they are a common circuit outside the consumer unit.

If they have a common controller, then they are one circuit and you need not worry about it. If they have simply split the feed to supply both, then this is not really ideal..BUT..do you use the Immersion, or is this back-up in case the boiler goes fubar?

If it is simply back-up, then you might as well leave well alone until you have a reason to rewire one or both of them.

Sponsored Links
Both boiler and immersion are fed from a common controller (checked wiring from controller board in airing cupboard).

Yes, we just use the immersion as a backup - just test it works every so often.

Thanks for the replies FWL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back