oven / cooker wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have a single cable going back to an MCB. Re-fitting the kitchen and require the cable to be an additional 3 metres away from original outlet.
Is it acceptable to join the cable in a junction box to add the additional length of cable? The reason for asking, is that it is extremely difficult to get another cable up to the consumer unit, as I have a solid concrete and tiled floor in this area.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's acceptable providing the junction box is easily accessible for inspection, test and repair.
If this can not be achieved there are other methods that can be used, a popular one being by the use of maintenance free junction boxes. Which BAS will be happy to hear they now are recognised as a BS. (BS EN 60670-22.) or may be not!
Does the cooker circuit have an isolator?

Isolator not visible,but may be behind the housing. Single circuit definately goes back to an mcb in the consumer unit. I never fitted the kitchen, it was proffesionally fitted 12 years ago. Will find out when I dismantle the oven housing. Does this matter now, seeing I am about to change the wiring ?

Can probably fit a junction box in an easily accessable place upstairs and exted the cable. that will take care of a cable to the hob. will just have to figure out the easiest way to get a cable to the combi oven, which will also require a single cable back to the board.
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
It's acceptable providing the junction box is easily accessible for inspection, test and repair.
If this can not be achieved there are other methods that can be used, a popular one being by the use of maintenance free junction boxes. Which BAS will be happy to hear they now are recognised as a BS. (BS EN 60670-22.) or may be not!
Does the cooker circuit have an isolator?

If you intend to use a junction box then make sure that it can handle the size of cable you are using. For the one quoted above the max is 4mm.
Most 32Amp Cooker circuits tend to have 6mm cable - though the size of the cable and the MCB protecting it should be determined by the load expected from the cooker/hob which should be outlined in the manufacturers instructions.
Also be careful you don't stray into Part P terriority.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back