Oven in cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, sorry to be a real pain...I am hoping to fit my oven into a unit with cupboard doors on it, so basically I can close the doors when I'm not using the oven so that it's not on show.
I recon for ventilation purposes there will be a cut out at the back of the unit, and whilst the oven is on I will have the cupboard doors open. But can anyone kindly suggest if this would be a potential hazard, or if you know of anyone doing this and it working.
Thank you In advance for anyone kindly getting back to me

Sponsored Links
It's possible but you may be better always giving it time to cool fully before closing it in a cupboard and also consider getting an extractor fan in the cupboard to help cool the space.

So does that mean that while the cooker is on the cupboard door will be open? Unless it is a very big kitchen the open door will be in the way and the temptation to close it will be huge.

It is not something I would consider.

Somewhere I have seen an oven behind cupboard doors and the doors were badly warped due I assume to the warmth from the oven.

As has been said the doors would need to be open when the oven was in use and while it was cooling down. That in itself would be a hazard.

When removing hot dishes of food from the oven there would be limited access to the oven due to there being two doors. Especially if the doors were not both on the same side or the oven door was a drop down.

Many have ventilation grills at the front and some have them in the oven door as part of the cooling system ( that prevent the external surfaces becoming hot. If the cupboard doors obstruct air flow through those vents then the oven's exterior will over heat. The vents are needed when the oven is cooling down as much as when cooking.

Sponsored Links
thank you ever so much for all the replies, its good to get someone else's view on the idea, so very much appreciated.
I have done a fair bit of research, including doing the good old google images to see how other people have done such a thing.
Thank you again

I could only find one picture of an oven in a unit with doors on it.

housefire24-415.jpg

Strikes me as ridiculous to cover an oven with doors.

I have never seen this before, and I'm sure there's a very good reason for this.

There is the obvious problem that the doors could be shut when it's on and it goes un-noticed.

When the oven is on you may have open doors sticking out causing an obstruction.

Get a nice looking oven and forget this daft idea of fitting doors over it.

A kitchen cupboard door doesn't open the whole width of the recess. The width of the doors will obstruct the opening due to the way the hinges work. Now, most ovens have a door the full width of the oven, 600mm wide. Can you see the problem here? Unless you use 270deg hinges, but then you have where the hinge fixes to the carcass which will obstruct the door!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back