Oven on same socket circuits as everything else

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We seem to have had a lot of electrical work done over the past 6 months. Failed wire changed (took a while to find) then updated our distribution board.

After the new DB was installed it was constantly tripping which I thought I'd narrowed down to a faulty washing machine which we replaced and no problems for a few months.

When my wife switched the oven on today it tripped an MCB which said 'oven', but in actual fact seems to be all of the downstairs sockets inc washer and dryer.

Doing some reading it sounds like this isn't ideal. Saying that, it's not tripped since the old washer has gone. I'm assuming it's because my wife switched the oven on and the dishwasher almost simultaneously.

Do I need some new wiring done? (I'm also assuming that a new circuit solely for the oven would mean a lot of holes in the walls?).

Sponsored Links
Show us a picture of your consumer unit ,and indicatet the MCB that tripped.
Do you know the kilowatt rating of the oven ?

When my wife switched the oven on today it tripped an MCB

When you say "oven" do you mean "oven" or do you mean "cooker?"

Is it a double oven or a single?

If single oven, was it bought with a moulded 3-pin plug already attached to the flex in the factory?

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. I've just sat down to a completely cold plate of food so I'm guessing the problem is the oven and not the wiring! I don't think the element has gone completely but there's definitely something up! Back to meals on the hob for a few days!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back