Oven & Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it and need an answer asap. My built in electric oven needs replacing. If I get a new one of similar rating can I replace it myself? Is it notifiable under part P? I keep reading and re-reading the guidelines, on one hand it says you can do replacments, but not in the kitchen!? Is this right?

Sponsored Links
Have a look a this...

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/Pocket Guide 8.pdf

...particularly item 3 under "within a special location". Then look at foot note 4 that goes with item 3.

I would therefore say you can replace your over but it must be identical. This could be interesting if your current over is obsolete. For my money I would say providing the replacement oven is of the same current rating you would be OK but the NICIE say "notify".

Still I'm new to this forum so maybe opinions differ.

does any documentation exist saying what oven you have currently? ;) (just don't get a model that came out last month...)

coloumb said:
Have a look a this...

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/Pocket Guide 8.pdf

...particularly item 3 under "within a special location". Then look at foot note 4 that goes with item 3.

I would therefore say you can replace your over but it must be identical. This could be interesting if your current over is obsolete. For my money I would say providing the replacement oven is of the same current rating you would be OK but the NICIE say "notify".

Still I'm new to this forum so maybe opinions differ.

A kitchen isn't a special location ;) (the only special locations are, by law those in the iee regs, the law refers to kitchens on their own as kitchens.)
Replacing the oven on a like for like basis which does not effect the circuit protective measures is a non-notifiable task, the link supplied to the NICEIC is their recommendation to their installers that they should notify i.e. replacing a shower etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back