Ovens on plugs ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ,
Il after a new oven , am I right in thinking an oven under 3kw is fine on a plug top ?? Thanks

Attachments

• 446680D1-C7C8-4314-9309-54E4720F6F5C.png
    446680D1-C7C8-4314-9309-54E4720F6F5C.png
    504.8 KB · Views: 164
Sponsored Links
Our old single oven came with a moulded plug attached. We had to cut it off in order to write it to the cooker circuit.

Our new double oven needed wiring direct to the cooker circuit and couldn't be used on a plug.

With a good 13A plug in a good socket with free air or forced air cooling no problem.

However the regulations suggest items which are fixed and over 2 kW should have a dedicated supply, so should not really be supplied from the general ring final, but many do without problem.

And all fuses get hot, so plug needs to be in free air to cool. Or in the cooling air from the cooker, not hidden away in the back of a cupboard.

You will have to follow the manufacturers instructions. If it comes with a plug fitted then the manufacturer must ensure it's safety. If not then they probably do not intend it to be installed in that manner.
Having said that as Eric points out, many are installed that way but I would be ready to replace the plug & socket after a few years of use.

Sponsored Links
I’ve got a 3Kw heater in work and that’s on a plug so I can’t see why an oven of less power than that can’t be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back