Over 6' high fences

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We already have some 5' high 6' wide fences slotted into concrete posts which are approximately 4"x4". The posts go up 7' in the air above ground and are set in concrete.
We want to change the panels for 6'6" or 7' ones. Are there any issues we need to be aware of like wind etc., and where can we get hold of some decent priced fences?

Thanks for all you hep in advance.

Sponsored Links
You could fall foul of planning laws, if anyone notices (and cares)

You can't get 7ft panels, why not just top up what's already there with trellis?

A bog standard square grid trellis panel of 6x6' cut down into 4 or 5 strips, slot them in, secure to fence tops with nails or wire.

The current ones are completely "gone". They've sagged and developed gaps. I think it's because they were never treated. We want proper fences as my Mum don't like the men form next door looking over the fence (it's a care-home). So, will we have to adapt standards panels then?
If we wanted to take your idea and apply it to standard panels, what shall we do? What kind of wood, etc will we need to make up the batons?
Finally, what planning laws were you referring to?
I'm not too well versed on the laws so a few pointers will help. Will the fact that the neighbours are mentally unfit mean we can get higher fences?
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
go for a 1" gap at the bottom then a 6" gravel board then a 6ft capped panel would be around 20mm over height at 2020mm but would give you 6ft 7 1/2"

keeping in mind your eyes are around 6" from the top off your head that would stop anyone looking over without discomfort

Cheers all for the great suggestions and links.
I think I'll go for the gravelboard one
Best wishes.

Go for a 1' gravel board and 6' fence panel - you can always sink the gravel board into the ground slightly to get the fence to the 2m height it sounds like you wouldn't need planning permission for (according to that link, provided it doesn't boarder a public highway)

The only issue you're going to have is lifting the gravel boards up high enough to drop them in place - they're pretty heavy ! (Is that why you were thinking 6", big-all ?)

(Is that why you were thinking 6", big-all ?)
yup although you could go for treated wood and keep clear off the soil so it lasts as long as the fence

your ok without the gap as gravel board 153mm fence panel 1828 capping 15mm=1996 or 4mm under maximum

although as i made my own caps from 2x1" treated they finnish up at around 23mm so 4mm over lol

in general theres enough "give" sideways at 3ft up to get panels and gravel boards in

Just done exactly this.

Concrete posts stick up 6 ft above finished ground level. One foot concrete gravel board along the bottom (obviously) then slot the six foot high panels in on top of the gravel board. Result one fence seven feet high. :rolleyes: OK at each post there's a gap where the post's a foot shorter than the panel. And the point is?

:eek: :eek:

If anyone did complain, though I can't think why, after a bit of argument and counter letter writing backwards and forwards, after a year or two I'd reluctantly agree to take out the g/b and just not quite get round to doing it. :evil: ;) By which time three or so years have gone by and oh shame, the complainers been killed in a hit and run accident (joke but not a funny one):eek: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back