Over 70s face driving curfew

I had some informal tuition in defensive driving from a police instructor a few days after passing my test 1964
I was assessed ( and passed ) for driving an ambulance on Blues and Twos ( St John Ambulance volunteer ) in the 1990s
Is that where you have to wear boxing gloves and a head guard whilst driving :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I passed my driving test back in 1989/90, no theory test. However I had to take the theory in 2017 as part of my motorbike lessons. Alas I gave those up after I had an off, and I listened with a degree of jealousy when one of the instructors mentioned what the bike test was like back in the day so-to-speak. 'Yeah it was basically a case of demonstrating you could ride around the town for 15 mins.' Not sure how accurate that is however it was no doubt more straightforward to pass the bike test years ago as oppose to now. Not saying that's a good thing before any of you start, just stating the fact.

I would say the standard of driving has dropped. An increasing lack of patience etc.

Sponsored Links
I had a 70+ year old woman write off 3 cars in front of my house (including mine) and she didnt know what she did.
confused and lost was what I was told.

Just to reiterate:

It is NOT a ban for over 70s - quite the opposite.

It is a proposal that those (over 70) who have had their licence revoked for health reasons might still be allowed to continue to drive in their local area in the daytime.

I had a 70+ year old woman write off 3 cars in front of my house (including mine) and she didnt know what she did.
confused and lost was what I was told.
That happened to me in my work car park. Car was only a few months old from new. Old dear was reversing out of her space, hit accelerator instead of the brake and rammed her car along 3/4 of the nearside. It looked really bad however much of that was due to the door skins crumpling, the car was structurally sound, albeit shoved about 30-40cm sideways in its parking space!

The ironic thing was, she was in a small Peugeot that escaped with virtually no mark on it. The repair shop said she hit some of the weakest parts of my car e.g. door skins with one of the strongest parts of hers e.g. corner of rear bumper.

Although it was my pride and joy at only a few months old, I managed to stay calm!

Are you a Police Officer Harry? - No need to answer of course if it's too personal of course

No, my police mate instructor put me through the advanced driving police driving course long ago.

I never had any driving lessons, as I youngster I bought 'Roadcraft' and studied it long before I could get a provisional. When I could I bought a bike, took the test on that, moved to three wheels, got used to that, then borrowed a car for the car test with no instruction. I was quite obsessive about my riding and driving and got friendly with the main police instructor for the area, who taught me unofficially for 12 months to Police Class 1 standard. I found the out loud continuous commentary the hardest part, but it definatly focuses the mind. I still can do it, it's good practise, but I don't do it aloud. Last I heard, he had retrained to pilot the local police helicopter.

I listened with a degree of jealousy when one of the instructors mentioned what the bike test was like back in the day so-to-speak. 'Yeah it was basically a case of demonstrating you could ride around the town for 15 mins.' Not sure how accurate that is however it was no doubt more straightforward to pass the bike test years ago as oppose to now.

In my case, early sixties, it was a test centre in the middle of a block, with a quick shortcut to walk from the front, to the rear of the block. The asked you to ride in circles around the block one way, then the other direction, whilst they walked back and forth observing your progress. At one stage they would step out in the road in front of you, without warning and you were supposed to do a controlled emergency stop. I turned the bike sideways stopping, but managed to control it - I was sure he would fail me, then after a few HC questions I got a pass :)

Patience and courtesy on the road went long ago. Everyone is in such a tremendous rush these days. If you broke down, someone would be bound to stop before long to see if you needed help, now you are more likely to get mugged if you break down.

Last edited:
Is that where you lift your arze to relieve wind ?:ROFLMAO:

If necessary :)

Right toe on footbrake until you come to a stop, left toe down, hold it on the front brake, swap left toe down to right toe down, to use left to drop into neutral. Reverse the process, when you want to set off - The Hendon Shuffle.

Old British bikes had the rear brake and gear change on the opposite sides to modern bikes.

Last edited:
Regular tests make a lot of sense. And some more joined up health / licencing - e.g people with advanced T2 diabetes with deteriorating sight should have to have regular eye tests, and if it gets a lot worse this info should be passed on to the licence people.

e.g people with advanced T2 diabetes with deteriorating sight should have to have regular eye tests, and if it gets a lot worse this info should be passed on to the licence people.

I have very slight T2 and as a result I get sent an annual NHS appointment for a full check up at a local centre. The result is then past to my doctor. My eyes were somewhat better in last months test, than previous annual checks.

So I suspect that anyone who has T2 will be checked anyway.

Regular tests make a lot of sense. And some more joined up health / licencing - e.g people with advanced T2 diabetes with deteriorating sight should have to have regular eye tests, and if it gets a lot worse this info should be passed on to the licence people.

There are good reasons (to them) why they don't already do this.

Losing your license can be financially catastrophic.

Sponsored Links
Back