Over 70s face driving curfew

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by diy_fun_uk, 28 Mar 2021.

1. diy_fun_uk

diy_fun_uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm not sure what I think of this. If it comes into law it'll be interesting to see what constitutes ill health. I don't doubt there are many elderly people that simply shouldn't be on the roads, however I think a better approach than this would be a basic mandatory medical every 3 years from 70, paid for by the driver. Although there have to be lines in the sand when it comes to policies and laws, it would be a bitter pill to swallow if, at 72 years old, you were forced into a 30 mile limit and no nighttime driving, whereas your 68 year old neighbour with the same medical condition is still legally allowed to drive the length and breadth of the UK morning noon and night.

Over 70s in poor health are facing ban on night time driving in licence shake up | Daily Mail Online

2. Sponsored Links
  3. charliegolf

charliegolf

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's in the mail, so will be the most inflammatory version of a perfectly sensible discussion to have. Restricting the driving privileges of people with health issues which may well impact their driving ability should rightly be considered.

As for retesting- why not every 10 years from 30? Weed out plenty of dipsticks IMO.

4. ellal

ellal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One could be forgiven for thinking what are those 'medical conditions'?

And could they change dependant on a particular event?

'No jab, no driving' for example? ;)

5. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you could try a count-down from 40/49/57/64/70/75/79/82/84/85 =9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1

6. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was "Banned" from driving on medical grounds.

That was because i had a Heart Attack, went through a "procedure" which carries an automatic one month ban.

There are a lot of medical conditions detailed on the DVLA site that prevent you no matter what age from driving.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A cocoa at 7:00 before Emmerdale and all old dudes should then be off to bed, not rantanning the streets.

• Like Like x 1
  8. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But what do you class as 'old dudes'?
    I know people older than me who are good drivers, in good health and have enough marbles left to have serious discussions without losing their rag or straying off topic.
    I also know younger people who I wouldn't allow to drive a bumper car, think any subject other than football or the latest rap music banging out their car at 120 decibels, is what life is all about and enjoy getting smashed on strong lager each weekend is amazing.

9. One of our gang of bikers was killed by a bloke in his late 70's whose only excuse was that he normally takes someone along with him because his eyesight wasn't as good as it was.

I believe there should be, at minimum, a yearly 'MOT' for the driver as well as the vehicle. Let's not discriminate on age alone, it should be for everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. diy_fun_uk

diy_fun_uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    lol

12. ReganAndCarter

ReganAndCarter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure what testing experienced drivers over 30 will achieve. The stats are against that, as it's young, inexperienced drivers who are over represented in death and accident figures.

13. Hello Regan! Good to see you after so long. Are you on early release due to "tagging"? :LOL:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Strongly Agree with Conny here. I've known people in their 30's as inept, slow witted, sluggish and more foggy brained than some people in their 90's. Physical age is one thing but your biological age is completely different and is what matters most.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Mar 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ReganAndCarter

ReganAndCarter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nah , just been away for the weekend 'checking up' on my villa in Nice. Don't tell anyone, don't want them getting jealous. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. That really would be something to be jealous of though :LOL:

17. Bosswhite

Bosswhite

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I spent 30 years as a firefighter and have attended many fatal road traffic incidents ( as they are now called) the majority of casualties were within the age range of 18 years /35 years
    Over 70`s I could count on the fingers of one hand
    this is an ageist proposal .

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 3