Overflowing gutter corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My chalet bungalow suffers badly from overflowing gutter corners during cloud bursts, due to rain flowing down the valleys. The guttering is conventional semi-circular plastic which has been reasonably well laid and I see little chance of improving this.

Is anyone aware of an easy solution to this problem? I have found solutions for metal guttering such as https://www.roofinglines.co.uk/prod...el-corner-overflow-protector-galvanised-125mm but not for plastic.

Any advice much appreciated. Possible gap in the market?

Sponsored Links
I think you can get box things to go at the bottom of valleys which can take a lot more flow if it's a long valley. But first check things like the alignment and the distance from the eaves.

Thats a yank site^^^ Gutter Splash Guard Installation is available for all of Racine, Kenosha, Milwaukee, Walworth, Waukesha, Washington,

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
American site, so what? there is a picture there showing a possible solution. easy to replicate duh!

Sounds like your guttering is inadequate, half round guttering has the least capacity and bungalows normally have larger rooves.

We fitted some HiCap (high capacity) guttering recently for this very reason. No complaints from the customers thus far.

Some of the high capacity guttering is still semi circular in design, but there are deep flow gutterings that are litterally deeper in design, so will keep the flow more to the bottom of the gutter. Have a look at the various designs available at this site.

If the valley is long and pitch steep then it can splash over during torrential rain even on deep flow.
Op could easily make something up as an experiment to see if it helps the issue.

Check the positioning of the guttering to make sure that it's not set too low to catch the extra flow when there's a heavy downpour.

Now what't the old rule of never assuming anything. We assume that because there's guttering up there, the guy who istalled it knew what he was doing, but as it's not working properly, somethings gone wrong - but it could well be climate change causing this one. You're splash guard idea may well be the best solution, but may not be easy to setup as we haven't got to that stage in guttering design yet, as Mr duck has only managed to find a galvanised on so far.

So, going back to the original post Mr Duck, if you can't find a plastic one, then I suspect the galvanised one may be adaptable, and can be held on with a bit of fudging, and sealant, and it'll be a lot cheaper than renewing the guttering. Although that may well be something you still need to do with all these heavy rainfalls we're getting nowadays.

Last summer we were building an extension with roof valleys and the location of the existing rainwater gullies meant that the guttering would need to be very low at the point where the valley spilled into the gutter. I added a new gulley specifically to enable me to raise the guttering at this point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back