Oxypilot Fire - issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a gas fire which has an oxypilot. The pilot is lighting both sides and the flame is blue. But when I try and take the supply knob past the pilot so it becomes self sustaining, the fire goes away completely.

It used to be the case that if you held it in that place with the pilot for a minute, it would light up past the pilot but this winter that hadn't worked. There is plenty of air circulation so there is no reason for the oxypilot to stop the fire.

Am thinking whether it is worth trying to figure out whats wrong (2 people quoted me 100£ to service the fire and change the thermocouple which hardly seems worth it given i could just change the fire for 150£).

Anyone have any tips I should try? Any specific place I need to try cleaning? Thanks for the help in advance. Im not a gas expert so don't want to fiddle around with the supply side of things.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like two people have diagnosed the issue and given you a sensible price to fix it. There's nothing you can do - it's a gas safety item, not a bit of cleaning that's required

Does the pilot stay alight if you release the button without turning it?

Does your £150 fire include installation?

Does the pilot stay alight if you release the button without turning it?

Does your £150 fire include installation?
Nope the pilot goes out.

150 is not including installation but I was given a figure of £30. I am just trying to find out if the whole oxypilot unit will need to be replaced in which case id rather avoid paying the 100 to then have to spend another 150.

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like two people have diagnosed the issue and given you a sensible price to fix it. There's nothing you can do - it's a gas safety item, not a bit of cleaning that's required

Hm why do you say that? The gas is coming out just fine so I thought it might be an issue with an oxypilot unit. Further thoughts appreciated.

Most fire manufacturers now require the oxypilot assembly to be replaced as part of the annual service, and won't honour their warranty unless this is done. It will most likely be an issue with a component of your oxypilot unit, yes, and this is a gas safety critical part which we're not allowed to give DIY advice on on here

£30 to fit a new open flued gas fire, with all the work that's involved in doing that, I'd be checking the chaps gas safe credentials closely before letting him loose on any gas appliance if that's all he's charging to install and certify!

The service and repair costs sound reasonable and should fix your fire, not sure what other information is required? For your safety that work must be completed by a gas safe registered engineer, as the chaps have already told you, unfortunately you have no way around that.

That is the limit of detail that you will receive on the forum as anything else may allow you to perform a DIY fix, which may not be a safe option for you and yours.

As Mad implies, £30 is nowwhere near enough for a professional fire install.
And you did not answer my question.

EDIT: Apologies OP. You did asnswer my question, unless byou edited.
On that basis the problem probably is the t'couple but could be the gas control valve.

Last edited:
It is possible the install price is a below cost figure from the fire seller.

Or that it takes account the recovery of the old fire.

But I don't normally make any visits for that little.

B&Q seem to be getting in on the installation jobs in many areas.

So who is visiting homes and fitting fires for just £30?

Presumably doing all the flue checks required?

Tony

I suspect the £30 is just to have a look, before the actual install quote is announced!

B&Q seem to be getting in on the installation jobs in many areas.

So who is visiting homes and fitting fires for just £30?

Presumably doing all the flue checks required?
Not B&Q that's for sure. And nobody that is doing it properly and intending to be in business long

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back