Padstone and Rsj placement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just would like to know if sitting a rsj on a padstone would be ok if not centered? All on the padstone but to one edge? Problem with BC ect?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends if that's what the design calculations allow.

Hi woddy, thanks for the reply back.
Ok on the SE report there is nothing other than bearing over the padstone witch is all correct 150mm each end. It’s just the padstones have gone abit further apart than I had planned and wanted. My messuring mistake :-/ This is giving me 5350mm span if there centred on the pads-tone. My SE has given me 9x3 timber for a 5000mm span at 400 centres I will be going 350 centres. Due to heated floor trays. So without moving the padstones in. I can get it in but the steel is on the edge of the pads. Don’t no if this would be a issue as it’s still fully on there or another way, if you think 9x3 joists be ok to span 5350mm instead at 350 centre. Just a bedroom and ensuite load.
Thanks

If this beam is parallel to the wall ie above an opening in the wall, then as long as you have the minimum bearing (normally 100mm) then its OK.

If the steel is perpendicular to the wall then the same principle will genetally apply ie the 100mm bearing can be from the front and side, but this will depend on the loading on the beam and the strength of the wall immediately under/next to the padstone.

It will probably be ok as long as it's relatively standard loading.

Sponsored Links
If this beam is parallel to the wall ie above an opening in the wall, then as long as you have the minimum bearing (normally 100mm) then its OK.

If the steel is perpendicular to the wall then the same principle will genetally apply ie the 100mm bearing can be from the front and side, but this will depend on the loading on the beam and the strength of the wall immediately under/next to the padstone.

It will probably be ok as long as it's relatively standard loading.

Thanks again woody,
The steel is perpendicular to the padstone it’s on. No opening at the bottom just full wall all the way down. It’s a loft conversion. I could get 100mm on the padstone and just make the joists 5200mm looking at the span charts this is just ok for max veribale loads and that’s at 400 centre I will be going 350 centres. I dunno might move the padstone over but would rather not do thought I would ask :)
One other question and I think I am good. The timber packing bolted to go inside the steeel to hang the joists do I need to have this both sides or just the side I am hanging the joists.
Thanks again

Still don't understand why you do not ask for assurance from the SE on your proposals if you are digressing from what was specified structurally and presumably approved by Building Control. No disrespect to woody whose advice is no doubt sound but he is not the BCO , won't the BCO want revised calculations/specification anyway for the amendments you are proposing ?

There only SE calculations not spec drawings it’s on permitted development. You don’t need calculations for timber joits i belive if there on a span tec sheet. Mine is for the steel but he has added joists for nothing for me on the calculations.
I have moved the padstone in anyway so there now all centre on the steel. Did not want building control do say no after the fact,as they don’t come before we have steel in and joists down. I thought it would of been fine as the steel was full on the padstone just not centred. It’s done now anyway, was my wrong measuring. Dam attic light
Thanks all.

If Building Control have approved it ( I don't know if they have or not ) that's fine . I was just trying to get you to follow the correct procedure for your own sake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back