Padstone cast in place concrete mix

I suppose the other thing to consider and this seems like a major one to me. If you pour your own Padstone it will take a few weeks to reach full compressive strength. If you buy off the shelf then this will be ready to use as it is.

Sponsored Links
My architect replied and simply said "3:1 mix would be OK"!

Think I will use that premixed bagged stuff. Which does seem to have smaller stones in it... I would have thought latlrger stones are stronger.

smaller aggregate will make stronger concrete generally I thought

My architect replied and simply said "3:1 mix would be OK"!

Think I will use that premixed bagged stuff. Which does seem to have smaller stones in it... I would have thought latlrger stones are stronger.

Back to my comments from an earlier post - has the architect provided calcs, specs, etc beyond what is on your plans?

I'd want all this stuff in writing from him...

Sponsored Links
3:1 using ballast/all in
LOL. So you know the ballast ratio that the mini digger scooped up at the merchants?

The point is, not only are architects clueless about specifying padstones, but no-one specifies a concrete mix as "3:1". You've hit the jackpot there.

I hope your concoction copes with the bearing shear, which is down to a bit more than vibrating the shutter with a drill

BTW, you may need a C40 designed mix, and its not just about sand/cement/gravel, as water plays a massive part in the 28 day set strength

LOL. So you know the ballast ratio that the mini digger scooped up at the merchants?

The point is, not only are architects clueless about specifying padstones, but no-one specifies a concrete mix as "3:1". You've hit the jackpot there.

I hope your concoction copes with the bearing shear, which is down to a bit more than vibrating the shutter with a drill

BTW, you may need a C40 designed mix, and its not just about sand/cement/gravel, as water plays a massive part in the 28 day set strength

I was going to use one of the C40 bag mixes. The architect has specified all the other structural parts so if he thinks that 3:1 is OK then it can't be that much of a load can it. Either that or he is really ****!

I'm happy. Spoken to the architect, a builder and done my own research. I consider a cast Padstone in this situation to be better than the other options.
We’re trying to help you here mate.

My point is that the BC - assuming you are doing the work legitimately - may want to see the documented calcs.

Your happiness will not be factored into whether or not BC sign-off. Sorry

Building control will look at a resemblance of a padstone and tick their form. It wont matter to them if the bearing shears or cracks later.

And will it be loaded before 28 days optimum setting time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back