Padstone

Myself and my assistant Fanny would beg to differ. As long as you use the correct mix and endeavour to rid the shutter box of air (hammer drill etc) then a domestic padstone is simple to make. Not so easy to manoeuvre and patience (curing time) is essential.

How does the hammer drill trick work? I understand it would vibrate out the air bubbles, but how do you get it in suitable contact with the shuttering?

Sponsored Links
How does the hammer drill trick work? I understand it would vibrate out the air bubbles, but how do you get it in suitable contact with the shuttering?
We just use a dull bolster chisel against the shutter. The shutters are sash cramped and screwed and are formed using robust materials.

Last edited:
Funnily enough most engineers I’ve been involved with like to use pen and paper.

Sponsored Links
Always amazes me how much argument there can be over something as simple as a pad stone - I've missed this while I've been away :rolleyes:

I always specify PCC lintels for anything over around 550mm as they take up much less space and are much easier to lift into place than larger pads. Some colleagues specify steel spreader plates, but I'm not convinced they spread the load as satisfactorily.

I've got no issues with builders using Class B engineering bricks in M12 (1:3) mortar.

Also have no issue with builders making their own. C35 mix can be bought off the shelf and a builder on one of my projects did just that the other day.

But anyway, does a pad stone really need to be C35 concrete? If we had a 100kN beam reaction bearing onto a 100x100mm area, that would give a pressure of 10N/mm2. So anything greater than C10 concrete would be satisfactory for the load. Then the pad stone would just need to be long enough and deep enough to spread the load (at 45 degrees) to the masonry below, limiting the pressure under the pad to the capacity of the masonry.

It's not rocket science :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back