1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Painting a dark blue bathroom white and getting emulshion off plastic tile trim

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by bullethead123, 23 May 2020.

1. bullethead123

bullethead123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I've got a nasty dark blue bathroom which I intend to paint white using 'Polycell basecoat'. Is this a good move or would anyone suggest a different method?
    Also, quite a lot of the 'ribbed' tile trim has this blue paint on it. I can get it off by using a small screwdriver, but this is incredibly time consuming. Is there any product/method that someone could suggest?
    Thanks, Chris

2. veedee

veedee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd use Zinsser 123 on the walls to cover the existing paint/prime the surface

Then follow this up with your top coat

For the top coat, I'd opt for a paint which resists mould e.g. Zinsser perma white

3. bullethead123

bullethead123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OK. I see that paint is on sale at Screwfix. I'll put my order in now.
    BTW Veedee, when using moderate force sanding some doors in preparation for painting, I keep getting whole strips of paint peeling off. I guess the previous painter (not guilty) didn't sand down correctly. Each time I figure I've got all the loose paint off, another 'tail' appears and needs stripping off. It's getting quite tiresome. Is there any product (or method) you would recommend that I use?

4. Nozzle

Nozzle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As for removing any paint that is not 2-pack... try gunwash from your local autoparts. It's really horrid though. Potent, volatile and will also haze plastic. A bit like nitromors, but better. Use thick rubber gloves (it'll soften and destroy latex/vinyl) and a charcoal mask and/or good ventilation.

Nozzle

5. Sponsored Links
  6. bullethead123

bullethead123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the tips nozzle