Painting a dark blue bathroom white and getting emulshion off plastic tile trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got a nasty dark blue bathroom which I intend to paint white using 'Polycell basecoat'. Is this a good move or would anyone suggest a different method?
Also, quite a lot of the 'ribbed' tile trim has this blue paint on it. I can get it off by using a small screwdriver, but this is incredibly time consuming. Is there any product/method that someone could suggest?
Thanks, Chris

Sponsored Links
I'd use Zinsser 123 on the walls to cover the existing paint/prime the surface

Then follow this up with your top coat

For the top coat, I'd opt for a paint which resists mould e.g. Zinsser perma white

OK. I see that paint is on sale at Screwfix. I'll put my order in now.
BTW Veedee, when using moderate force sanding some doors in preparation for painting, I keep getting whole strips of paint peeling off. I guess the previous painter (not guilty) didn't sand down correctly. Each time I figure I've got all the loose paint off, another 'tail' appears and needs stripping off. It's getting quite tiresome. Is there any product (or method) you would recommend that I use?

As for removing any paint that is not 2-pack... try gunwash from your local autoparts. It's really horrid though. Potent, volatile and will also haze plastic. A bit like nitromors, but better. Use thick rubber gloves (it'll soften and destroy latex/vinyl) and a charcoal mask and/or good ventilation.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back