Painting a new door.

Mate of mine uses Leyland, vinyl silk on these kind of doors all the time and swears by it.

What does he do for a living :?: :?: I hear some cry out.

Well - he's a time served Painter and Decorator with 48 years experience in the trade, 32 of those years spent self employed, with an unblemished reputation and highly regarded by all his customers.

Any further questions on my mate and I'll be happy to answer them.

Sponsored Links
:eek: where did he serve time :LOL: Growler have you ever done it? and are you saying that a silk covered door will stand up to a traditionaly painted door in terms of quality of finish and durability. Its plain wrong and I dont care how many mates you got in their 60's that do it :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:eek: Its plain wrong and I dont care how many mates you got in their 60's that do it :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Then it's pointless me answering any of your questions if you're so closed minded.
If you're genuinely open minded, I will do so, but as you've already said you don't care.

hi, having read through this thread concerning painting of new doors..i to have 3 doors to paint they are already undercoated ( well, i think think they are as they are already painted a kind of matt white..anyway after reading some posts i am going to paint them ..eggshell..oil based white..here is the stupid question...are there differet types of eggshell white ie matt vinyl...silk..etc ? i am looking for a shiny finish but not gloss..hope you understand what i am trying to explain...many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
hi, having read through this thread concerning painting of new doors..i to have 3 doors to paint they are already undercoated ( well, i think think they are as they are already painted a kind of matt white..anyway after reading some posts i am going to paint them ..eggshell..oil based white..here is the stupid question...are there differet types of eggshell white ie matt vinyl...silk..etc ? i am looking for a shiny finish but not gloss..hope you understand what i am trying to explain...many thanks in advance

Vinyl silk/ vinyl matts and vinyls in general are water based. so as you are looking for an oil based, you'd be best going for an oil based satin, (not matt and not gloss).
I always use Crown Solo satin, as an oil base it's lovely to use ans a lovely finish, but there are many brands around to choose from.
Just used Johnstone's for a customer..too shiny.

Hi All.

Well, after an ENORMOUS amount of time and effort spent on researching how to paint a wooden door, applying primer/undercoat twice and then the final gloss coat with the method that's advised in tutorials, I can now report that no matter how careful I was and how hard I tried, it just did not go on properly. This may be a few hours work for most people, but I tried to do everything extremely carefully and neatly and it's taken me weeks to get it done, which makes the final result so, disappointing. All that preparation for nothing!

Here's just some of the problems encountered.

The gloss was applied in the advised order, i.e. mouldings first, then top of door, then down the middle, etc., and I tried very hard to 'keep a wet edge' and do the 'lay off' thing, but all the places where the paint joins can clearly be seen and looks BAD, even though I applied the gloss so thin that I'm sure that if the primer/undercoat was a different colour, it'd clearly show through. If I applied it any thicker, it resulted in runs/sags.

I don't know how to describe this, but towards the end, the paint kept being applied as smudges. I don't mean paint already on the door smudged. I mean the paint being applied to unpainted areas just went on as if there was paint there already and had now smudged. I also started to get an effect where it seemed as if I was painting over large bumps on the surface, but the surface was in fact totally flat and smooth as it's a new door. Where did these invisible 'bumps' come from? I had applied two undercoats and a three-quarters of a door in gloss before this happened. The only thing that I did differently, before this happened was put my paintbrush in a foodbag as advised here. Is it possible that this could have had something to do with it, i.e. paint going all the way up the bristles whilst in the bag? The brushes I used were cheap in price, but they looked and felt quite good, similar to the pack of brushes at B&Q for about £7/8. All that painting and I don't think I had any bristles on the woodwork at all if I can remember correctly.

Accidentally touching the door with my fingers, clothing (which left fibres on the door that are impossible to paint over or remove) and hair sticking to the bottom part of the door when opened/closed all caused me grief, but at least I know these are my mistakes and can be avoided. (I got a bit careless at the end when things started going pear shaped.)

If I were to paint ten more doors, the same thing would happen again as I just don't know what is to be done differently than what I have done already!

Thanks for listening.

D.S.D and Spice are correct in their earlier posts. emulsion paint shouldnt really be used on woodwork but ive seen it used before. as mentioned its not best practice for various reasons. It doesnt work the same as acrylic primer/undercoat. Dont use dulux "once" its absolute garbage, covers because it goes on like treacle, but leaves brush marks like a ploughed field!
Traveller.. Dont over prepare the wood work, new doors pre primed only need 2 undercoats and a top coat of gloss or 1 undercoat and 2 coats of satin. if you pull some lining paper under the door before painting you wont get hairs on the bottom of the door from the carpet. this can be pulled out when the door is 90 % dry. Painting one side of a door should take no more than 10 mins maybe 15 tops depending on what your using.
If the woodwork is previously painted theres no need to try and rub the gloss off. A gentle sanding to provide a key and an undercoat and top coat is all thats needed.
No disrpect to growler but ive been painting 30 yrs and my dad 60 years and we havent used emulsion on internal doors. just not good. :D

No disrpect to growler but ive been painting 30 yrs and my dad 60 years and we havent used emulsion on internal doors. just not good. :D
I've been painting a lot longer than 30 years ( can't see why it matters) nonetheless... I'd never used emulsion on those kind of white panel doors before.
But I have now :!: ....silk as was previously mentioned, thought I'd try it, and very nice they look as well.

Always nice to see the painters that don't ever do anything "wrong". ;)

Simple solution...two coats of oil based sating or eggshell..done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back