Painting a new door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We've recently had some new internal doors fitted. I don't know what type they are but they look similar to the one in the picture below.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Multi-Purpo...oor/invt/200600&temp=largeimage&layout=popups

They are about 33mm thick and consist of a normal wood?? middle that is about 28mm thick, sandwiched between two darker layers of thin material, each about 2 to 3 mm thick. The face of the doors are white. I'm sure you experts know by now exactly what I'm talking about!

These are brand new doors. My questions are,

1) Do I need to use a primer first or an 'undercoat' for the type of door described?

2) Which option would you recommend - Dulux Once Gloss at £11 or normal Dulux Gloss at £10 with 20% extra free?

3) If Dulux Once, then would one coat be fine?

4) Any recommendations for a paint that doesn't go off-white/yellow after a while would be good. (There are no smokers in the house.)

5) I am concerned about the harmful effects of inhaling the paint. Would the following mask suffice?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1207003653894&isSearch=true

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've just installed similar doors but they came primed.

My dad said to use white silk paint and it has given a great finish.

I had painted the door frames gloss white about 6 months ago and once the doors had been painted the frames looked manky yellow. So I then had to sand and paint using satin white this time. Looks very good now.

So i'd recommend white silk paint for the final coat and a white undercoat if it is not primed.

Its a very boring job especially when you have to redo the frames and may need a few coats...good luck!

I'd also add that i'd never use white gloss paint again, other than for covering mould on ceilings.

Yes - avoid gloss. It's nasty and shiny and shows all the brush strokes. Satin is the way forward, in fact I'm predicting that we will see satin cars quite soon. Some sports car already are satin black.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

what can I say to that :LOL:

first decide what finish you require ie gloss or eggshell. the doors described should be pre primed and unless you have cut the doors down to fit them and exposed bare wood then you should not need to prime. My way of doing it is to undercoat in an oil base twice de nib between coats and topcoat once or twice depending on finish, again in oil base. There are pros and cons with oil based paints and water based. Oil base is easier to apply and gives a superior finish IMO. Waterbase stays whiter for longer. The dust masks you describe are what they say they are dust masks so if you want something to mask the smell and avoid the harmful effects of breathing in paint get something else or just use a water based finish and undercoat very low VOC's and you will be doing your bit for all the whales/dolphins and not turning this country into the Sudan by 2525ad or whatever. Waterbase also has no smell and is not harmful to breath in so no masks required :D

Can I also add that putting silk on a wooden door is to be avoided, putting silk on a wall is also to be avoided if I had my way. :eek: It is an emulsion and should be used as such. Also putting gloss on mould is also to be avoided. Find the reason for the mould and correct it, clean mould with correct cleaner and paint over using correct product. Oilbase Gloss can be used to cover a water stain in a white ceiling to seal it prior to painting in emulsion but should not be used as a mould sealer ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.

What would be the best option for the bathroom door?

danzx2, we used to get BLACK mold on the corner of the bathroom ceiling all the time. A new grill has been fitted in front of the vent near the corner and the paint we used was, I think, Johnstone's Kitchen and Bathroom Mid Sheen and we have never seen any mold since!

RigidRaider, I don't mind the shiny look as long as I get what works best for a door of a bathroom.

D.S.D, the doors have been planed. Do you mean that the edges will now have to be primed?

Do you know of an alternative mask that I could get by with?

Thanks.

the mould cure was down to you fitting a new grill not the paint trust me. ;) yes you will need to prime all bare wood. as for the mask what are you using water based or oil base. If you want one that is going to block vapours from a solvent based paint then a decent one aint arf pricey :eek: I promise you that if you open a window and keep it well ventilated you will not grow another head and still be with us in the morning. breathing in paint fumes is not at all harmful just look at the lads and lasses on here....... :eek: then again maybe you should get a mask :LOL: brewers or the DDC will sell them just let them know what it is for. ;)

I don't see whats wrong with Silk on primed doors? It gives a durable white sheen and looks good.

The mould was very old and had stained the artex ceiling. I attempted to sand it off but i'd of been old and grey by the time it was off. It was more to cover the stains with a skin than to halt the growth as an extractor fan had been installed.

out of interest danzx2, and I dont mean anything by it, what is it you do for a living, just curious is all ;)

Hi All,

We've recently had some new internal doors fitted. I don't know what type they are but they look similar to the one in the picture below.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Multi-Purpo...oor/invt/200600&temp=largeimage&layout=popups

They are about 33mm thick and consist of a normal wood?? middle that is about 28mm thick, sandwiched between two darker layers of thin material, each about 2 to 3 mm thick. The face of the doors are white. I'm sure you experts know by now exactly what I'm talking about!

These are brand new doors. My questions are,

1) Do I need to use a primer first or an 'undercoat' for the type of door described?

2) Which option would you recommend - Dulux Once Gloss at £11 or normal Dulux Gloss at £10 with 20% extra free?

3) If Dulux Once, then would one coat be fine?

4) Any recommendations for a paint that doesn't go off-white/yellow after a while would be good. (There are no smokers in the house.)

5) I am concerned about the harmful effects of inhaling the paint. Would the following mask suffice?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1207003653894&isSearch=true

Thanks.

If its the doors i think they are, they already come primed, that is, there is a greyish/whitish colour on them.

To get them to a really good finish, and even though they are primed (if its the ones I think they are) you must definately undercoat them.

Now whether you are going for satinwood, eggshell or gloss.

If going for satinwood or eggshell, I would undercoat them, then 2 good coats of satinwood or eggshell.

If glossing, then 2 undercoats, and 1 gloss.

out of interest danzx2, and I dont mean anything by it, what is it you do for a living, just curious is all ;)

I have 30 years in the P+D trade...........no I actually work in IT.

I don't know everything about P+D and haven't said I do but I know what results I have gotten and seen before.

I had some vinyl silk emulsion left and used that. Maybe its not the standard use for it but I had seen the results and it looks good. You may not recommend it but you haven't said why.

I'd agree about silk on walls but not on doors...

As i said danzx2 I meant nothing by it and asked out of curiosity only and had you really have been in the trade 30 years then my answer would not have been so polite and you would have started a whole diff techy type thread :rolleyes: ;) The results that you get with silk may be fine and look ok to you. There is no hard and fast rule and emulsion may be perfectly ok to put on a properly prepared door but the finish will not be as long lasting, it will not take the knocks that a wood formulated paint will and will not take too kindly to any abrasive cleaners and will not take to any kind of polishing ie duster type due to the nature of the paint it will have a tendancy to crack as your wood expands and contracts through diff tempreture changes throughout the day and from season to season. Lastly it aint good practice. I have yet to meet a professional decorator that goes around emulsioning doors and whilst they may look good to you to us they would not. They would look like a diyer bodge job, still pays ya money you takes ya choice ;)

emulsion finish on wood work :eek: thats not a good idea scratch it with a key and see ur result horses for courses emulsion will just wear off and will look **** in time why nt use an egg shell? you'l get the same finish butt better quailty of work and much more hard wearing.

Thanks for all the replies again!

D.S.D, it's oil I think. I've got some old undercoat/primer, which should do the trick. Actually, I could do with growing another head; my current one could do with the help!

spice, they are off-white; definitely not on the greyish side. I think I'll go with your and D.S.D's suggestion of two undercoats and a single gloss. After doing some reading, I think I would ideally use normal as opposed to one coat, but we've already bought the one coat and will probably stick to it.

There is already old gloss on the door and window frame and will look yellow when the new paint goes on the door, so I have tried to sand the shine off so that I can apply primer/undercoat and gloss it again, but there are still streaks of gloss left on the wood. Will this be too much of a problem?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back