Painting Disaster Please Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will try and keep this short and to the point!
I have white oil based woodwork.
I saw Johnstone One coat satinwood coffee cream which I know is water base.
I gave the wood work a light sanding to get the shine/oil off & wiped it all down.
It felt smooth and looked matt.
It is now day 4, I have given it 1 thin coat per day it finally started looking good as it should but now just chips off when caught with the hoover, I ran my finger nail across one part and it just peels off
I have spent days painting it in my spare time and feel gutted it's coming off!!
Please please advice needed what to do next?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Seriously?! Oh no!
What did I do wrong?
I sanded it down so thought it would be alright, obviously isn't, I assumed sanding it all first would be the answer but seem to have got that wrong lol.
I just wanted something other than white and thought the one coat was actually was oil based until I dropped it on the carpet!

Sponsored Links
Go and ask at a good local decorating shop, not b&q, and they should have something. I did that when i wanted to paint some external Oak and they sold me some black dye and some uv protection water repellant. They said that would be safer for the wood because it can breathe.
The old columns we had replaced were totally soaking and rotten where the water had sat behind the paint.
So I've no doubt they have a product to suit your needs or at least some advice. Although it may not be super cheap.

Your preparation was correct, unfortunately many waterbased eggshell paints are rubbish unless applied over porous surfaces.

Although waterbased paints are touch dry in a few hours they do take a number of weeks to fully cure. Darker paints have more universal tint and often seem to take much longer to cure.

A client once asked me to apply a dark grey waterbased eggshell over vinyl silk. It took months before it would pass the fingernail test.

You may find that it will harden in time.

The dreaded water based strikes again, crap Paint Johnstones onecoat, dont diy buy trade paints, people think they are saving money by buying paint from the sheds but it costs them big time in the end, this is my opinion only, I dont touch jobs unless been purchased from a decorating centre or I have supplied it myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back