1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Painting storage heaters

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Aislingwhite, 20 Nov 2021.

1. Aislingwhite

Aislingwhite

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have 4 old electric storage heaters. All in good working order but look ugly. They are yellowed and I'd like to brighten them up by painting them. Rustoleum enamel radiator paint looks OK. Has anyone done this? Thanks v much.

2. dishman

dishman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Get a test piece of metal and practice first. Painting anything like a radiator with a brush and without much experience, you may end up with it looking a bit of a mess close up. Brush lines etc. Also, ifyou are using them at the moment so they are permanently warm, this could impact how the paint cures.

Best off waiting until the summer, taking off the panels and spray painting them white. You will get a much better finish.

Also, good prep is key to a good finish. You will probably want to give them a light sand before applying any paint finish. Then an undercoat, then a top coat.

More involved but it's what you need to do for a good finish.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Aislingwhite

Aislingwhite

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi thanks for the advice. I'm a bit impatient as just moved in and decorating the whole flat but will try and restrain myself as they could end up looking worse than they are.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wayners

Wayners

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Scotch pad and clean then radiator rattle cans. Try one first. Warm the cans in water so they spray nice. Try one first and see if paint takes on. Read instructions as you will have a time window to second coat.

Have not had trouble over most factors coated surfaces but some have picked up a bit so that's why I said test one. It's quick and easy

6. Sponsored Links