Painting storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 old electric storage heaters. All in good working order but look ugly. They are yellowed and I'd like to brighten them up by painting them. Rustoleum enamel radiator paint looks OK. Has anyone done this? Thanks v much.

Sponsored Links
Get a test piece of metal and practice first. Painting anything like a radiator with a brush and without much experience, you may end up with it looking a bit of a mess close up. Brush lines etc. Also, ifyou are using them at the moment so they are permanently warm, this could impact how the paint cures.

Best off waiting until the summer, taking off the panels and spray painting them white. You will get a much better finish.

Also, good prep is key to a good finish. You will probably want to give them a light sand before applying any paint finish. Then an undercoat, then a top coat.

More involved but it's what you need to do for a good finish.

Hi thanks for the advice. I'm a bit impatient as just moved in and decorating the whole flat but will try and restrain myself as they could end up looking worse than they are.

Sponsored Links
Scotch pad and clean then radiator rattle cans. Try one first. Warm the cans in water so they spray nice. Try one first and see if paint takes on. Read instructions as you will have a time window to second coat.

Have not had trouble over most factors coated surfaces but some have picked up a bit so that's why I said test one. It's quick and easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back