Pandemic Insurance

Its a very simple concept - read the schedule, make sure you are covered for what you want to be covered for. It's not a big issue or a conspiracy.
The point is, they said they would not cover Covid19 as it was not listed.
So, when you check your insurance policy details to make sure you are covered, how do you do that when the bloody disease you want to insure against the effects of hasn't been discovered yet??

Sponsored Links
Wimbledon lawn tennis club took out insurance on this flu caper back in 2003

They are due a 250 million pay out due to lost revenue

England and Wales cricket board also took out similar insurance

Wimbledon had a " communicable disease cover" in there policy

There annual I nsurance premium was 1.5 million per year

Which also had some bad weather clause

The point is, they said they would not cover Covid19 as it was not listed.
So, when you check your insurance policy details to make sure you are covered, how do you do that when the bloody disease you want to insure against the effects of hasn't been discovered yet??

I haven't and wont be reading the schedule you referred to, but with reference to Covid-19 (the disease) I suppose it would go like this ...

Coronavirus (which is the cause not the disease) is a range of viri and cause several respiratory illness such as the previous SARs and MERs diseases, along with the new Covid-19. So you could have cover for diseases caused by all Coronavirus, and further you could specify only known diseases, or cover any unknown (novel) diseases as is the case with Covid-19. Or you could restrict over to known diseases only, and keep the premium down

If the cover is important to someone for some reason, then I am sure they will have procedures in place to check that cover they are getting and what they are paying for.

Compare with Critical illness insurance which may be more at our level. The types of illnesses covered, and how cover is provided is clearly specified and itemised, so its clear when the policy will pay out. So yes you may get a "critical illness", but if it's not in the schedule - whether its been discovered or not, then the policy wont pay out. Or you could add specific risks and cover to a policy to get non-standard cover, but the premium will go up to reflect the added risk to the insurer. That's how insurance works.

Sponsored Links
Back