Panelling a cloakroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to panel out a cloakroom/shower room I was going to put skirting around first and then stick mdf 6mm thick as the panels, with moulding on to give a period feel. On top of that some kind of dado to finish.

This will then be sealed and painted and won't really be coming into much contact with water as the shower is tiled.

Does this sound OK

Would thin ply wood be better to use.

I intend to get wood cut at store to near to size, so it easy to handle

3 walls are plasterboard and 1 is solid outside

Sponsored Links
I would cut the panels to the length of the floor then put the skirting over the top of the panels so you wont need a neat finish with the bottom of the panels as it will be getting covered by the skirting. You can get moisture resistant mdf, but does still need to be sealed. Or you could use exterior ply.

not advisable to use normal mdf in a bathroom
its more a case of you may get away with it if your lucky its properly sealed and it doesn't get splashed very often :rolleyes:

i personaly would use water resistent mdf get your woodyard to run up battons the same thickness as you skirting if fitted to save removing it

you could use normal pine cladding at around 70p a meter or just over £3 a square m

There is no skirting board there and the room is very narrow in parts it is a downstairs toilet, basin and shower. The MDF will not get splashed and I intend to paint it. Because of the narrowness I can't take the walls in anymore. It has a concrete floor which will be tiled.

you will have to explain more as I am a beginner

Sponsored Links
penwen said:
There is no skirting board there and the room is very narrow in parts it is a downstairs toilet, basin and shower. The MDF will not get splashed and I intend to paint it. Because of the narrowness I can't take the walls in anymore. It has a concrete floor which will be tiled.

you will have to explain more as I am a beginner

assuming the paneling is going within 2 ft of the shower the toilet or the sink you are bound to get some splashing!!!

you could if your walls are fairly even get away with blobs of no nails every 10 inches or so keeping the mdf off the floor by around an inch and covering with skirting

Thanks for all your help. I will check walls for straightness, particularly outside walls and use the glue if possible. Would you lay the floor tiles before skirting and wall panels.

yes floor first if you choose to remove the cladding at a later date you will leave a gap if you lay the floor second :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back