parking on a junction ? illegal ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ya, can anyone tell me if it is illegal to park a vehicle on the road or half on the road and half on the pavement to a junction of a close on a small housing estate ? surely this is a common sence situation not to? but it seems that our recent neighbours dont do common sence, YET ! what would the" boys in blue" have to say about it i wonder and is there a legal distance away ? anyone ? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Pavement parking is a NO NO unless marked that allowed.
As far parking at junctions, there is something in the highway code.

It is illegal to park on the pavement and on road junctions. Often this is ignored by the 'boys in blue' on housing estates unless it is causing a nuisance/hazard. As your neighbour is complaining, you would be prudent to move it.

It only takes a police officer to say you are causing an obstruction (rightly or wrongly) and if you do not conform to their instructions they can 'ticket' you.

Lou.

Sponsored Links
its my neighbour doing it ! not myself ! perhaps a quiet word to the" bizzies" may sort it eh ? and yes it is a hazard and oh yes its a f..... nuisance !" book em dano" thats wot i say ! :evil:

its my neighbour doing it ! not myself ! perhaps a quiet word to the" bizzies" may sort it eh ? and yes it is a hazard and oh yes its a f..... nuisance !" book em dano" thats wot i say ! :evil:

Don't forget GB they are your neighbours, you will still have to live next door to them and face them, knowing what you have done! And what will you do / say when they come round and warn you not to park on the pavement, because the bizzies are targetting motorists in the area?

Lou.

I know the nuisance that this sort of parking can cause.

I drive down a road every day where one or two people park up on double-yellows, a PITA as it's just before a corner. If it's night-time you can watch for headlights, but in the daytime you can find yourself with a car coming at you rapidly... I've wondered who would be classed as "AT FAULT" if an accident happens because of it.

If the council lowered the costs on dropping kerbs the problem might go away - costs about a grand round here for a straight kerb drop (no moving of lights, manholes etc).

Yep, parking within a specified distance of a junction, parking with at least one wheel off the public highway and parking on dropped curbs are all illegal. Yes, even if it's parking across your own driveway it's illegal.

If it annoys you, the best route to take would be a quiet word in the person's ear as they may not realise it offends anyone. If they still persist, you can request again and up the pressure a little by saying you would rather not have to take the issue further but will if necessary. Going straight to higher authorities or taking matters in to your own hands will only end in more problems than you originally had by the first problem. (that's general advice, not just specific to your issue)

LOL ! today we've had the local bizzies delivering a lovely polite notice about "inconveniet parking" and "causing an obstruction " and with that letter an e.mail address and phone number for them ! :LOL: it just keeps getting better ! clearly i'm NOT the only one in the close who's P..... off with it !happy days ! :D watch this space eh ! :D

Parking on the footway as such, is not illegal unless there are double yellow lines with accompanying signage or parking is specifically prohibited by local authority byelaw. (As it is in many London boroughs)

Parking on the highway within 10 meters of a corner or opposite a junction is advisory in the Highway Code.

Be aware that the footway and the carriageway together constitute the highway.

There is no specific legislation with regard to obstruction of the footway. Obstruction offences refer to the whole of the highway and if the footway is obstructed you are supposed to walk in the carriageway or cross to the footway on the other side. Obstruction occurs only at the time a person is obstructed, so if there is nobody there at the time trying to get by, there is no obstruction.

It is illegal to drive (and cycle) along the footway and it is now a "fixed penalty notice" offence, but the footway can be crossed for access (after giving way to any pedestrians who have priority).

I got a parking ticket for parking with two wheels up on the pavement. The offence was 'parking with one or more wheels off the public highway'. There were no yellow lines either from memory, but it was some time back now.

PJF,

"... parking with one or more wheels off the public highway. There were no yellow lines either from memory, "

Can you remember the regulation that you were in breach of? I would be interestested to know. Was this in London or the centre of a major city?

If you parked with two wheels on the footway your vehicle would not be "off the public highway".

RonaldO........regarding your earlier post, I would suggest that parking on a footpath IS an offence. What about the blind person you're forcing to walk onto the carriageway, or the young mum with a pram ??. It's obstruction which ever way you want to look at it.

Sponsored Links
Back