Parquet Flooring - Color bias in basket weave?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will lay a basket weave pattern in the main field. I would like to have a slight bias in color between the two major directions in the pattern. I notice that in many pictures it appears as if this was an intentional designed element. Is this practical? Would I be better off using two different species such as white and red oak? If I gave half the boards a pre-stain could I achieve the same effect (that would survive sanding)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

++++++++++++
Moderator's note:

Welcome to the forums. Please
familiarise yourself with
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448

You have posted three times with a similar thing, I will delete the others.

You can use the "edit" button to add text to a post you have already written.

We call this kind of flooring "parquet" so I will add this to your thread title (this is a UK site)

Use this link to look at the Flooring forum //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=16

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++

JohnandBarbara said:
I will lay a basket weave pattern in the main field. I would like to have a slight bias in color between the two major directions in the pattern. I notice that in many pictures it appears as if this was an intentional designed element. Is this practical? Would I be better off using two different species such as white and red oak? If I gave half the boards a pre-stain could I achieve the same effect (that would survive sanding)?

Thanks for the help.

JohnandBarbara said:
Although I have laid floors before, I am about to lay my first parquet floor. I am uncomfortable with gluing down 3/4 inch solid wood (over plywood) without mechanical fasteners and/or tongue and groove support. Is this fear justified? I will use strip flooring outside the field. Do I also glue this down?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
if gluing one section you should carry on gluing the other to. Be careful using different species of wood. They react to humidity and temperature change different to each other. You may do better trying to get info off an american site to as the rules we fit our floors to may be different to yours due to climate difference.

JohnandBarbara said:
I will lay a basket weave pattern in the main field. I would like to have a slight bias in color between the two major directions in the pattern. I notice that in many pictures it appears as if this was an intentional designed element. Is this practical?
Practical? No, optical science my friend. Using one type of wood, say Oak prime (or premium) when installing it in herringbone or basket weave pattern (or many other patterns) will always result in the optical effect as if the fitter has selected light colours for one part of the patterns (or a slightly darker wood type) and another for the other part of the pattern.
But it is all the same wood and not selected on light or dark colouring of the individual blocks. That's the beauty of design parquet flooring!

Sponsored Links
Fresh from the camera:

Living1_400.jpg

All Oak Prime Grade, all one colour (of course every block has its own character), all optical illusion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back