Parquet in the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is parquet suitable for use in the kitchen?

I am sure I have seen old Victorian kitchens with parquet flors buit wondered what the limitations are?

Sponsored Links
We have parquet floor in our kitchen. The first time round I gave it three coats of varnish. It wasn't enough. Water dripping from a leaky washing machine got into the wood which swelled and buckled abominably.

After repairing the damage I mixed a well known brand of hard glaze varnish half and half with white spirit and more or less poured the stuff on until the parquet would soak up no more. After that I gave it three more coats of undiluted varnish; it has been watertight ever since.

That was ten years ago and I resolved to give it a light sanding and an extra coat at least once every two years. One of these days I'll actually do it! The surface is a bit dull in places but still watertight.

There aren't too many surfaces that are really good for kitchens. On a solid floor you can have quarry tiles but they are cold and any crockery that falls on them stands little chance. Carpet is a non-starter. Vinyl is OK until you drop something hot on it. Laminate looks great until the veneer wears through - unless you get the solid wood variety which brings us back to parquet. I would definitely use it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back