Part P inspection in regards to IEE 17th, regulation 526.3

If you have a concealed junction box with screwed terminals you're asking for trouble. If you absolutely need to do this with no other option, make sure your cables are at least soldered in the jb.

Obviously all the normal R1 + R2, Zs readings, time to disconnect requirements apply, everything else then becomes a nuisance trip at which point you ask ' how lucky do I feel ? ', because if you don't get it right you'll have to re-wire.

Sponsored Links
The accessability part of it has been around for a long while now, possibly since 15th ed. (anyone?)

At LEAST since the 14th Ed. of 1966 (I don't have older editions, save for a copy of the first edition (1882!)).

B73:

Where joints in cable conductors and bare conductors are required, they shall be mechanically & electrically sound and, except in cables buried underground and special cables designed for heating, they shall be accessible for inspection. Joints in non-flexible cables shall be made either by soldering or by means of mechanical clamps or compression-type sockets which shall securely retain all the wires of the conductors. Flexible cables and flexible cords shall not be jointed except as provided in Regulation B78.

With this all in mind, this is non applying to the regulations, if the box is to be hidden under say a floor:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:socket_circuits:a1_ring_final_circuit

it could do with a note to say that?

If you have a concealed junction box with screwed terminals you're asking for trouble. If you absolutely need to do this with no other option, make sure your cables are at least soldered in the jb.

Obviously all the normal R1 + R2, Zs readings, time to disconnect requirements apply, everything else then becomes a nuisance trip at which point you ask ' how lucky do I feel ? ', because if you don't get it right you'll have to re-wire.

Hi,

1) do you not agree this guide I've linked to above is miss leading?

2) I also have a copy of a Collins DIY manual (yes i know it's for reference) which says you can extend a ring main with JB's. There is not one mention of hidden JB's or not. This book is only a few years old and again miss leading to any DIYer.

3) Also i hope you can see my point here:

//www.diynot.com/pages/el/el014.php

this link now has a bold type at the top saying it is now excluded from the wiring regulations. When was it included?, ie we have been saying the note on junction boxes has been in the regulations since before the internet was invented?

4) for someone who has used this method, do they have to rip the floor up come inspection test (ie moving house?)

That's all a bit OTT.

True JBs should be accessible, but the mere existence of millions of examples of final circuits with dozens of screwed junctions in them and no problems with loop resistances shows that it's perfectly possible to get sound connections without soldering...

Hands up who's never done an inaccessible screwed joints eg house wired in conduit JB under floor rewiring in singles.

You can crimp some but not all never tried to solder solid cores together.

Does anyone have preferred method to overcome this? JB location and permanent joints

where a JB needs to be does everyone fit them in a cupboard or other accessible place.

I realise this is a DIY site and everyone tries to preach best practice.

What are the choc box and downlight issues?

And while I,m on it saw dragons den thing last night choc box turnover 1 million units uk £300k profits pa :D

Sponsored Links
mark the floorboard "electrical connection below" and replace the nails with screws. hey presto they are now accessible!

Unless the room gets carpeted and a big sideboard gets plonked ontop of said trap.

I wouldn't class under the floor as accesible wether the trap is loose, screwed or whatever.

In a loft or similar void is fine, but even so, I try to avoid fitting junction boxes altogether.

mark the floorboard "electrical connection below" and replace the nails with screws. hey presto they are now accessible!

unless you have laminate like me....

When should i inspect the tension on the screws in all the other JB's in the house that are are assessable? ie the CU, ones in loft etc?

That's all a bit OTT.

True JBs should be accessible, but the mere existence of millions of examples of final circuits with dozens of screwed junctions in them and no problems with loop resistances shows that it's perfectly possible to get sound connections without soldering...

Yes, it is. But surely the point he's making is that to make the JB comply with regs, it can be made into a soldered joint (ie does not then need to be accessible).

Sorry - I took his second paragraph:
to mean that if you didn't solder you'd have troubles with these aspects...

Ban, forgive my dodo brain, I can't find how to message you.

Can you e-mail me? I have something that might interest you...

Oh, and the golden goose will fly underneath a red sky.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back