Part P outdoor socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it permitted to fit an outdoor socket on an external wall or is it a special location.

Circuit is rcd protected.

Sponsored Links
Is it permitted to fit an outdoor socket on an external wall or is it a special location. Circuit is rcd protected.
Any electrical work is 'permitted', provided it complies with Part P (i.e. is done safely) and, if notifiable, is notified.

Provided it is connected to an existing circuit (i.e. does not involve creating a 'new circuit'), installing an outdoor socket is not notifiable in England. As far as the notification rules are concerned, the only 'special locations' are the zones of a bathroom/ shower room.

You would be advised to fit a DP isolator indoors in the feed to the socket, so that you can isolate it if it fills up with water and trips the RCD (killing the rest of bthe circuit, and probably others).

You may get some flak by talking about a "Part P socket", given that "Part P" is one sentence essentially saying that all domestic electrical work has to be done safely (in such a way as to not create danger of injury or fire) :)

Kind Regards, John

Just to say that it used to be notifiable (still is in Wales) because it was 'outside power' and a 'special installation'; not because outside was a 'special location'.

It's not supposed to make sense.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I posted using my phone and was lazy with the subject etc.

You knew what I meant though.

Soz

Is it permitted to fit an outdoor socket on an external wall or is it a special location.

Circuit is rcd protected.

As already mentioned, Part P of the building regulation, when undertaking domestic electrical must be adhered to.
Under those regulations and in accordance to BS7671 an outside socket can be installed on an external wall.
Outdoors is not considered a special location but the location does present a risk, so reasonable precautions should be made to reduce that risk.

England and Wales have a different format with regards to notifiable work (not a clue why, electrically?).
But in England an outside socket, taken from an existing socket circuit is permitted without the need to notify the work, but the work should still be inspected, tested and at least a minor works certificate completed.

England and Wales have a different format with regards to notifiable work (not a clue why, electrically?).
The electrons in Wales are far more energetic ( comes from climbing up and down all those mountains ) and can therefore jump over higher insulation than the English electrons can jump over. Hence regulations have to be stricter in Wales.

:mrgreen:

That's an interesting question. One can but assume that someone, or some organisation, in Wales were not happy about the major relaxations of notification requirements which happened in England in April 2013, and therefore decided to stick with the original rules (which meant that far more work was notifiable), at least 'for the time being'.

There's nothing surprising about that view. There are plenty of electricians (and quite possibly organisations) in England who feel that the 2013 relaxations were 'wrong'. What I find more difficult to understand is what individual(s) or organisation(s) in Wales would have both the expert knowledge and authority to bring about the decision not to implement the amended legislation in Wales. Maybe eric can give us some insight into that?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back