Part P query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted a pond at home and am uncertain whether it is part P notifiable or not. I phoned building control and they said I need to speak to the clerk of the works in charge of electrics, he just happens to be on holiday so the job stops. :LOL:

I have,
12v submerged lights, 12v deck lights, 240v pump for a fountain and another 240v pump for a filter system.
Power for these items is distributed through one of these.
http://www.blagdonthepondmasters.co.uk/objects/pdf/Blagdon_2006_switchboxes_connectors.pdf
The switchbox and transformers are inside a conservatory/greenhouse which is dry. The 240v cables are just under 3M long and there are no joints of any description outside the building. There is a vacant 13 amp socket next to the switchbox.

The house was rewired last year and is Part P compliant. The firm who did the work (very reputable and NIECE registered) came round and said to just fit a 3 pin plug on the cable from the switchbox(5 amp fuse) and not worry about it. The socket is a masterseal type with a closable lid on it.

I do trust him but have read different on here, so what do you guys reckon?

Sponsored Links
Well, who are building control or central government to tell you or I what electrical appliances we can and can't use in our gardens? Regardless of wether it is a garden mower used once a week for half an hour or a pond pump that is in use 24/7.

There is the issue of wether the cable that feeds the pump/filter/UV constitutes fixed wiring, and I will leave others to debate that!

It is my view, as an electrician that you have nothing to worry about part-p wise, however, please ensure that the socket you are plugging it into is RCD protected! An easy way to find this out is locate the RCCB in your consumer unit, press the test button (a good thing to do quarterly anyway) and see if the power to that socket is cut.

Also, try to make sure that the cable feeding the pump/filter/UV does not become damaged.

Happy fish-keeping!

it is and always will be 50 / 50

part p says about special locations garden being one of them.

it also mentions fixed wiring

a pond pump is not fixed

if you were to run a swa cable to supply the uv and pump then yes that would be fixed so comes under part p

BUT if you use anarmadilo kit (other brands are available) guess what it has a plug on the end of a jucnction box that has a swa cable

or try this

i put some 12v lights in the garden, transformer in the lounge

the lights are in a special location so come under part P

but am i going to get them inspected at a cost which is more than the lights (£9.99 kit from diy shed)

I think not

Please note i havent reeally got a set of lights from a diy shed in my garden with the transfomer in the lounge

( its in the shed, and I made the lights myself)

Part P is a good idea, it just doesnt work, since there are too many undetermined variables

I would do as you were told you can do

it is and always will be 50 / 50

part p says about special locations garden being one of them.
Special installation ;)
BUT if you use anarmadilo kit (other brands are available) guess what it has a plug on the end of a jucnction box that has a swa cable
If it has a JB on the end it isn't a "pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections" so isn't non-notifiable i.e. it is notifiable.
The lights you buy in a shed may fall into that category.
If you make them yourself then they wont.

Sponsored Links
JulieL/B, see i said it was 50 / 50

Click-Sure says go for it

Spark123 says dont

You can read the relevent part of the building regs here:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:statutory-instrument
Further information: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf[/QUOTE]
Thanks Spark123, I tried to read those yesterday and ended up going for the bottle. :LOL:

The bit that confuses me about my installation is whether it is outside in a "special location" or inside in a conservatory, which I gather may not be notifiable. Most of the kit is inside (switchgear transformers etc) the only part outside is 12v cabling or the flex to the pumps.

I don't want to dodge any regs or have anything dangerous but by the same token I don't want to make a meal of it either.

I suppose this is all we could expect from Prescott. :LOL:

If you read the top document I posted, at the bottom it tells you what a special installation is.
Is the stuff going outside made up pre assembled plugs and sockets? Already kitemarked?

Wonder if Prescott's meals are part pie reportable?

PS Hi Julie....long time no see!

If you read the top document I posted, at the bottom it tells you what a special installation is.
Is the stuff going outside made up pre assembled plugs and sockets? Already kitemarked?
By "kitemarked" Do you mean CE marked? If so, then yes, the 12v lights are pre-asssembled plug and socket type. The 240V pumps are also CE marked, albeit the flex is in one unbroken length, from pump to switchbox.

I did read about special locations, but I am uncertain what actually constitutes an installation, All the fixed parts of mine are located inside an area which the regs appear to say is non-notifiable and none of the cables outdoors are actually fixed.

The nuts and bolts I can handle but these confusing regs are something else, looks like a lawyers charter to me :LOL:

PS Hi Julie....long time no see!

Hi Simon,
Its actually David doing the writing, didn't see the point in re-registering just for this query, so used Julie's name.

Best regards to you and the family I trust your all keeping well. :D

Also kind regards to my old adversary BAS too, I hope your keeping well . :D

The switchbox and transformers are inside a conservatory/greenhouse which is dry. The 240v cables are just under 3M long and there are no joints of any description outside the building. There is a vacant 13 amp socket next to the switchbox.

The firm who did the work (very reputable and NIECE registered) came round and said to just fit a 3 pin plug on the cable from the switchbox(5 amp fuse) and not worry about it. The socket is a masterseal type with a closable lid on it.

I do trust him but have read different on here, so what do you guys reckon?

If the socket outlet has been installed and signed off by BC IMO your contractors advise is correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back