Part P - special location in bedroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a washstand/ shaver point/ mirror light in the corner of a bedroom. Does this count as special location/ need Part P clearance. Would I have to ensure any sockets are >3m away. The regs I looked at seem to have changed (only Zones 0-2 now?!)

Sponsored Links
If you've looked at the regulations, why do you think the zones apply to handbasins?

16th regs showed sinks and the areas around them as Zone two (I think), so I was surprised to see the new reg diagrams did not include sinks. As they are usually full of water, I just wanted to be sure. Better safe than dead... or part P illegal!!

I'm just a handy man, sorry for any offence caused by simple questions.

16th regs showed sinks and the areas around them as Zone two (I think),
No they didn't.... :confused:

Better safe than dead... or part P illegal!!
As long as you're connecting to an existing circuit, adding a light or a socket in a bedroom without a shower cubicle isn't notifiable.

Don't forget the new rules for buried cables though.

Sponsored Links
It's rooms with Baths and Showers that matter for Zones.

A lot of us prefer to have electrical fittings at a distance where you can't touch them, and a metal tap or water, at the same time, but this is not a regulation. Just put them where they can't be splashed or dripped on (unlesss they are waterproof)

Don't be offended

You should meet the plumbers :eek:

16th regs showed sinks and the areas around them as Zone two (I think),

I think I know the pic you are meaning - they like to show it in some of the catalogues, (think Screwfix and Argos are offenders).
You'll be glad to know these are wrong - it only applies to the location around a bathtub and shower basin. Even in a bathroom the sink does not create a zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back