Part P

Status
Not open for further replies.
PPW - there is a lot of real expertise on this forum (self not included). But you would need to climb down a little from the pedestal you have set yourself on and sound like you are looking for information, not setting yourself up as the expert.

Sponsored Links
Part P Wizard wrote:
So how can we make Part P enforecable? PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS

You're an EXPERT - you work it out!

You don't need others you've got BS7671 and a copy of Part P haven't you?

I am an expert, im just getting more and more opinions of Part P, hence ive have had various types of opinions on Part P and i have my own pwerosnal opinion on Part P.

Ive got 2 boxes of Part P stuff, BS7671 IEE REGS and guidance notes, internet sites info, Competent Person Scheme Details, News bulletins, reports, Part P articles on explaining Part P.

Part P Wizard wrote:
i have my own pwerosnal opinion on Part P.

And your own personal opinion of yourself as an EXPERT.

Part P Wizard wrote:
I am an expert, im just getting more and more opinions

Boxes of government notes and documents don't make you into an expert.

Your grammar, syntax and spelling indicate that you are young and I suspect that you lack any real expertise in this trade or in life.

It does tell me that you need to get out more though.

Government documents do make good firelighters don't they?

Sponsored Links
My reason being on here is for you all to say what you think of part P and then it will back up what i put in my dissertation to give to the OPDM!!!

so there you go

Make sure that you use a spell-checker before you send it to him or he'll think that you are a CHAV!

Part P Wizard said:
My reason being on here is for you all to say what you think of part P and then it will back up what i put in my dissertation to give to the OPDM!!!

so there you go
PPW - you just don't get it do you? You claim this expertise, but demonstrate nothing and answer no questions; you seem unable to spell; and there you go, referring to the OPDM again.
Please explain your background and why the Deputy Prime Minister has commissioned you to undertake this research.

PPW has been told off for being on the PC so late, and has been dragged back to his bedroom by his ear......

Give yourself some credibilty, mate or sdo off.

Part P Wizard said:
So how can we make Part P enforecable? PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS
If I had any ideas on that topic, do you think I'd tell anyone, least of all a toe-rag like you?

Stop wickes, B & Q etc selling electrical wires switches, etc (No chance?)and Gardens centres must ask for id If you buy a pond pump or garden feature with an electricity supply and give your peronsal details so they can trace you.
I sincerely hope not.

Something like this may help but something has to be done,
Why?

or Part P should be scraped?
I'd prefer it to be scrapped.

SwindonSpark said:
Are you getting the feeling you've been hoodwinked by the ODPM yet?
I think it's more a case of the ODPM having been hoodwinked by NICEIC and the ECA...

Now this, is utterly fascinating. I've mentioned the Australia/New Zealand comparison before, and how as we begin the journey towards an Aussie-style enforcement, we should start digging more graves, but never mind enforceabilty, or whether Part P penalises the honest spark whilst letting the cowboy flourish - this shows that the whole foundation for it is utterly rotten.

I've included the whole post, but the entire thread is here: http://www.iee.org/Forums/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=3642 and the forum itself (IEE Wiring Regulations) has a number of other threads on the topic, as I'm sure you'll not be surprised to find out.

Well, it is once again interesting to look at New Zealand. Until 1992 the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act 1976 meant that only union members could do installations, and all new works had to be pressure tested and inspected by a separate Inspector before approval for connection.
Similar legislation to that current in Australia also prohibited elecetrical work by non-union members, although the required qualifications were different.
The 1992 changes allowed DIY electrics for the first time and gas work by non-skilled persons, providing in the case of gas work a qualified gas worker agrees to inspect and certify that he has done so.

There are of course some important safeguards.

Prior to the commencement of any work by the non-qualified person, the non-qualified person should obtain agreement from the certifier that the certifier is prepared to supervise and test
the work.
Prior to the commencement of any work by the non-qualified person, the certifier shall
establish the full scope of the intended work, the type of gas to be supplied and the availability
of that supply. It is recommended that the certifier test the soundness of any existing gas
installation that may be in place.
The certifier shall advise the non-qualified person of:
(a) the extent of supervision, inspection and testing that will be required; and
(b) the limitations imposed on the gasfitting work that can be performed by
non-qualified persons in accordance with section 0; and
(c) the requirement that the work comply with either NZS 5261, or with appropriate
equivalent performance criteria where the work is in a non-industrial installation
and is not covered by NZS 5261, or with an acceptable alternative installation
standard where the work is in an industrial installation; and
(d) the properties of gas that impact on safety; and
(e) any testing programme to meet the requirements of section 0 in the event that the
gasfitting work is required to be installed, inspected, tested or commissioned in
stages.
quoted from The NZ governments document archive.

As part of the same sweep of de-regulation, DIY electrics were also permitted, despite howls from the unions that these measures would lead to hundreds of avoidable deaths.
Only new circuit installations have to be inspected by a registered electrician before connection, and while recommending the use of an electrician if in doubt, anyone can do his own work, so long as not for hire and reward.

Now, one might ask, what did this relaxation in the 'skills' of persons installing and replacing pipework do to the accident rate? How much did the accidents go up?
Well using a gauge relative to Australia where the same 'Union Members Only' rules apply, the accident rate stayed roughly constant for gas, and has been getting rather better for electricity, apart from a couple of anomolous years. However, dont take my word for it -

The 1999 Ministerial review is very interesting, see item 24 of the conclusions in particular.

The accident data does not suggest a decrease in safety following the decision in 1992 to have self-certification instead of third party inspection and to allow householders to do a defined range of electrical and gas work. However, as discussed, using changes in the level of accidents to establish whether a policy is effective is fraught with difficulties. There is an additional complication in this case, as it appears from surveys done by the Office of the Chief Electrical Engineer that the amount of "householder" work carried out is about the same now as it was before it was legalised in 1992.

OK then ask me a question? I have not being doing the spell check hence the reason for my spelling errors.

I dont need to know about foreign electrics. Uk only

I am an expert because i have followed Part P's development from early last year and by reading all there is to know on Part P including paragraph by paragraph from the Part P document. I can claim to be an expert including because i am writing a dissertation on it. It will include your dubious comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back