Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a look through the archives and through some websites on Part P but I\\\'m still not 100% sure... Part P talks about kitchens, bathrooms and garden requiring certification. When it talks of gardens does it include outhouses separated from the house? I suspect the answer is yes :(

Sponsored Links
Your assumption is correct, it also includes garages attached to the house. Basically any change which would require the person making the change, to the existing wiring, to have to ensure that the safety of the installation is not compramised.

martyn142 said:
When it talks of gardens does it include outhouses separated from the house? I suspect the answer is yes :(
The answer is "it depends".

The requirements of Part P apply, of course, i.e.:

P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations in order to protect persons from fire or injury.

P2 Sufficient information shall be provided so that persons wishing to operate, maintain or alter an electrical installation can do so with reasonable safety.

but an outbuilding is not a garden, and assuming that it does not contain a bathroom or a kitchen, then if you are just extending existing circuits to the outbuilding then it is not notifiable.

If you are providing new, separate circuit(s), and/or taking power into the garden as well, then it is notifiable.

Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004

I've read some posts on Part P and looked at this site http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm. This site http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1130907 answered some of my questions but I can't find information on this:

Someone is redoing my bathroom now. New electric underfloor heating is being installed. The lighting and extractor fan is being taken out and replaced by low voltage spots and combined spot/extractor.

Is someone supposed to give me a certificate to show when the work is done so I can pull this out when asked when it is time to sell my house?

Sponsored Links
MilindPuri said:
Is someone supposed to give me a certificate to show when the work is done so I can pull this out when asked when it is time to sell my house?

yes, but what does this have to do with the first post?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back