Parts for Potterton Prima B - Or new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a old Potterton Prima B which has served us well, (House built in 1996, and the original boiler, we purchased the house around 4 years ago)

The boiler works fine, we have British Gas cover, but the engineer said there may be a shortage of parts if something breaks,

My wife's expecting our first baby, and I don't want to be in the situation of no heating in December if something goes wrong, and no parts available to repair it

Should I keep the working boiler, or look at changing it this summer for something with a warranty (also what brand?)

We want to keep with a open vent boiler, as don't want the house ripping apart for new gas pipes for a combi....

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with a Prima. Simple boiler, and as long as the heat exchanger is sound then I would keep it going. First line spares should not be a problem.(they're the bits that make it work, like gas valves, pilot thermostats etc),some spares may not be available, but they are the cosmetic and casing parts etc.

BG do like to tell you that your boiler is getting old. You'd be much better off cancelling your cover and putting the money aside to pay a local independent boiler engineer as and when you need them.
A few parts for your boiler are now obsolete or low stock but the parts that you're likely to need are still very much available

Thanks guys, that's saved me a large amount of cash!

The boiler does seem fine, think I will cancel the cover, as if something does go wrong chances are they wont fix it anyway

Sponsored Links
It's policy for them to make you aware of boilers with obsolite parts or with poor eficiencys, doesnt mean its about to croak it.

There a pretty reliable little boiler, and some spares are still readily available so may as well keep it going if finances are currently focused on a baby, but bear in mind it is going to need done sooner or later, the problem is no one can tell you which one it will be

But put it this way, there were boilers I advised people on replacing due to age/efficiency/spares and ten years on I was still servicing some of the same units.

Regardless of a boiler breaking down its not the end of the world.

But check that you have a working electric immersion heater.

If not then get it fitted or repaired.

As long as you have hot water you can live many weeks with hot water and electric fan heaters if it gets cold.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back