party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Our party wall seems to be of single skin (from what I can tell) with a few pillars.

If my planning permission gets accepted, I want to build up the the party wall to get the max space, could I cut the pillars away on my side, and tie the rest of the party wall to my new wall?

Sponsored Links
Its technically possible, but your post makes little sense/ has no context and so there may be alternative better and cheaper options

Factors will include your "new wall" type, foundations, loading, size etc.

It seems like your party wall is a garage wall of some sort? And if you do remove piers and want to build on it, then there is the chance of underpinning to consider

Its technically possible, but your post makes little sense/ has no context and so there may be alternative better and cheaper options

Factors will include your "new wall" type, foundations, loading, size etc.

It seems like your party wall is a garage wall of some sort? And if you do remove piers and want to build on it, then there is the chance of underpinning to consider

post amended, HTH

Sponsored Links
your post makes little sense/ has no context
Must try harder b21playa! :p

Right here goes

My house is a semi detached with side garage(lean to felt roof)

The front half is the garage, and the rear half has had polycarbonate sheeting added for a utility area. This has been here since I purchased the house. Garage wall is flat, utility wall has pillars showing on my side.

Now if I am to infil the side with a double storey extension, I want to be able to go as close to the boundary line so as to maximise my internal space. I wanted to know if the bricks for the pillars could be removed on my side so I could build right up against the wall?

I have no idea what sort of footings exist for the old wall.

Does this make any better sense?

The point I was making is that that there are many options for this type of work.

By the time you have messed about cutting off the piers, and putting new foundations in for you new wall, and underpinned the existing wall, and risked destabilising it, you could probably have come up with another solution with some steelwork and maybe timber frame with less work and less cost.

But its hard to say from a text description what will be the best solution for this particular instance

The answer to your question is .... yes its possible. But you are really asking the wrong question, as it does not really help you in terms of what you need to achieve

If you intend to build on the boundary, then you will also need some sort of boxed or recessed gutter at roof level

The point I was making is that that there are many options for this type of work.

By the time you have messed about cutting off the piers, and putting new foundations in for you new wall, and underpinned the existing wall, and risked destabilising it, you could probably have come up with another solution with some steelwork and maybe timber frame with less work and less cost.

But its hard to say from a text description what will be the best solution for this particular instance

The answer to your question is .... yes its possible. But you are really asking the wrong question, as it does not really help you in terms of what you need to achieve

If you intend to build on the boundary, then you will also need some sort of boxed or recessed gutter at roof level

What is the minimum wall thickness I can do?

I am also planning to change the hip to a gable end, so no box gutter would be needed

I will speak to my neighbour, to neighbour to try and understand the construction of the wall. I dont know if it is theirs or shared

Who can determine if the wall between my neighbours is mine of the neighbours?

It's very hard to determine the wall construction and thickness

Also where would I stand if turns out that the gutter that runs down the middle if the 2 properties is on my side (takes water from 2 lean-to's)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back