pasport applications..... ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the process of renewing my passport and applying for my daughetrs first one. Went on line, very efficent, and they send you the forms filled out with ,most of the info. Done mine fine. Im now on the 4th attempt for my daughters. so far ive done the following:-

Signature went outside the box by a few mm, so thats no good it will come back!
conf40.gif

put the wifes maiden name, instead of married name in the wrong box

put my elder daughters middle name down as my younger daughters middle name.......dont laugh my wife took 6 attempts at reading it through to spot it
conf45.gif

Oh how i wish i could just cross stuff out, rather than having to redo a whole bloody form

im off to bang my head against a wall now!!!!!!
banghead.gif

Sponsored Links
Get it checked at a post office or travel agent that does a check and send service Thermo. Cost me a fiver for my little un a few years back.

Just think...

In a few years time all you'll have to do is take a day off work to visit your new interrogation centre (which may be some distance/expense away)... get grilled by a 'jumped up jobsworth'... get your prints (and possibly more) taken... asked any of 200 intrusive questions, and find yourself with an entry on the NIR - and give the government even more chances of losing your (enhanced) personal data and keeping tabs on you...

Makes filling out a simple form seem less of a chore eh?... ;)

Sponsored Links
When I last renewed my passport, I had to go up to the passport office to renew (I know lack of organisation - noticed the renewal date on passport at last minute - 2 days before holiday).
Anyway, amazed at the number of people queueing for passports. Obviously very busy all the time as the ticket system and porter allowing so many through at a time - then another queue to have security search, then another queue upstairs to be called to a desk...

Well I happily finally walked off with my new passport, after handing in my form, photos and old passport at the desk. The old passport is sent back to you, you don't take it off with you on the day.

Three/four weeks later daily post contained a plastic bag from the post office, with a torn brown envelope inside (well, slit down one side)- apologising for loss of the item enclosed - my old passport. The torn, brown envelope which had HMSO printed on it, had the shape of the passport, where someone had pressed over the envelope to feel the shape of the inside.

So - who do you complain to? Phoned the Passport Office stating that it was obviously someone who was aware of the post leaving the office who was checking for passports to steal and it needed investigation. They said it was not their problem - once it leaves the office it is a Post Office matter. Phoned the Post Office and explained the situation - it was not their problem as damaged post is a daily occurrence and important documents should be sent recorded delivery. I tried to explain that this was a deliberate theft, not a 'wear and tear' torn envelope, but a slit envelope, with the shape of the old passport still visible, where it had been pressed and felt still clear to see on the envelope - not interested - not their problem - report to Passport Office.

So I then decide to contact the police, saying this is definitely theft and a scam where possible many other passports could have gone the same way. Not their problem - the Post Office or the Passport Office need to investigate and let the police know if they consider it something that needs investigating. Needless to say - I got back to the Passport Office and the Post Office and neither would accept responsibility - passing it over to each other.

What a sham. Considering I was in the Passport Office and I could have taken my old passport back - saving postage anyway. So now there are probably 300+ nelsys around the country with my ID. Still no need to worry - there are probably 30000 more going around with false id.

A shambles - the country is going to the dogs sadly.Everything is fine as long as you keep on the right track - motoring, health etc.. If something goes adrift - you are really in unknown territory - nobody wants to be accountable and accept responsibility. By the way for my underground journey to the Passport Office and the hefty extra charges for getting it in person and the half day to collect it - it ended up costing a pretty penny. Never make that mistake again - although with the hundred of nelsys around now - I can probably get by quite easily :mad:

Just done my 2 boys passport and signature outside the box!

I got fed up with it, so I popped into the Post Office and they did it all there for me at a cost of £7 each including the check & send service

Did it on 2nd January and got the passports on the 7th January :eek: I was expecting as least 6-8 weeks, I will do it earlier next time as you renew the passport 9 months before the expiry date

Get it checked at a post office or travel agent that does a check and send service Thermo. Cost me a fiver for my little un a few years back.

The missus did exactly this last week at our local post office.

The form still got sent back to us because our baby daughters birth certificate wasn't enclosed. The bloke at the post office charged the missus a fiver to check everything but he insisted that the birth certificate wasn't required. She knew it didn't sound right and even questioned it but still he said it wasn't needed. What a d1ck!! :evil:

Missus went back in yesterday to complain and to get her fiver back and she's been told she must phone an 0870 number for a refund application form. :eek:

After going through the same thing four times at the local Post Office, it was eventually suggested that I might want to consider signing the form first, and then only filling it in if I managed to get it inside the box....

I got fed up with it, so I popped into the Post Office and they did it all there for me at a cost of £7 each including the check & send service

Did it on 2nd January and got the passports on the 7th January :eek: I was expecting as least 6-8 weeks, I will do it earlier next time as you renew the passport 9 months before the expiry date
As a matter of interest, how did you receive your new passports?
Through the normal mail or via a courier?

I ask because they are supposed to be moving away from standard postman

Last year, I had one brought round by a man in a car, but not from any recognised courier firm..

Last year, I had one brought round by a man in a car, but not from any recognised courier firm..
No, they are not mainstream couriers. They are now using the method you described - to stop the new passports getting nicked in transit..

They have brought in distribution depots around the country for this purpose.

Shame the joined up thinking did not extend to old passports though. Seems as bad as IR losing the CDs

Courier on a motorbike and just push it though my letterbox :!: I would've thought you have to sign for it or better still collect it at the post office to see if the photo is correct when collected. The photo is in the paper itself maybe it's more foolproof and also got a little chip scan behind it, I bet it's the ID card :confused:

The photo is in the paper itself maybe it's more foolproof and also got a little chip scan behind it, I bet it's the ID card :confused:
Interesting little bugger that chip - it's a 48k rfid chip...at present it holds your photo as a simple jpeg, and all the other details on your passport with rudimentary security. When fingerprints are added, 72k space is required if you include encryption. So guess what - encryption will not be included!...

Now who would have thought that from the nu-labour clowns.. ;)

Additionally, instead of supposedly being able to be remotely read at only up to 10cm, it's been hacked at distances approaching 8 metres (so far)..then of course it's just a matter of cloning a blank rfid chip and ally it to the traditional forger's art..

But of course, given that it is apparently the 'gold standard', then the inevitable cloned/forged passports will be a 'godsend' for criminals and the like...!

Courier on a motorbike and just push it though my letterbox :!: I would've thought you have to sign for it or better still collect it at the post office to see if the photo is correct when collected. The photo is in the paper itself maybe it's more foolproof and also got a little chip scan behind it, I bet it's the ID card :confused:
They audit track each courier to the passport. you say it didn't arrive, they know exactly who was involved.

Regarding the card, no. They ain't ready for that just yet.

Interesting little b*****r that chip - it's a 48k rfid chip...at present it holds your photo as a simple jpeg, and all the other details on your passport with rudimentary security.

I wonder how much these chips add to the cost of the passport?

Sponsored Links
Back