passport signing

Sponsored Links
its back to the class thing
it hasnt changed with the time they want white collar qualifications and not working class or trade qualifications

Yup.

Read books for a living and dig your garden for pleasure and apparently you are significantly different to someone who digs gardens for a living and reads books for pleasure.

I'd say sign the passport applications and be damned. "It turns out that based on my engineering qualifications alone which are not degree level i cannot sign".

B******s.

Ask them if it's actually against the law.

Sponsored Links
How about this one, I qualified as a spark 20 years ago, one of the last cohorts of old style apprenticeships. The boom then recession occurred and work dried up.

between 1990 and today, I joined the police, got a degree, trained as a solicitor for a year (didn't qualify, couldnt afford to carry it on at £9K pa at 30!) and have now worked for the last 10 years as a civil servant (the Courts) and local government officer (Council) both in senior management and executove positions.

In all of the professions in the second para I could, can an do sign passport photos.

I am now going back to my trade (I am retraining to bring me back up to speed) where technically can no longer do this!

The world is a strange place full of miles of silly rules!

Btw, I am returning to trade because the public sector is collapsing!

Look at you all, what is wrong with you? Why are you all so keen to be counter signing passport photo's, really, is it that exciting. Sounds like people would be badgering you no end.

Dingbat, thats a pretty high pedestal you preach from.

Look at you all, what is wrong with you? Why are you all so keen to be counter signing passport photo's, really, is it that exciting. Sounds like people would be badgering you no end.

Nah, its just a bit of a whinge isnit, it knocks professional pride that the government doesn't recognise a very reponsible profession as a responsible profession, so to speak!

I couldn't give a monkey's if I never sign a passport photo again, but I do give a monkey's if the government says that I am not responsible enough to sign one!

Plus it's useful to do amongst friends.

In the case of some who live near us we've known each other for over 20 years, she's a teacher so can sign, I'm a C.Eng. so I can sign, and we do each others' - saves a lot of hassle.

engineering does not purely relate to degree level, you have engineering technicians as well who work in engineering, ex forces royal engineers who are not degree level for example....doesnt make them NOT engineers.

Not a pedestal at all, just a reasonably high viewpoint.

If you'd have the class of 'electricians' I had to deal with a fortnight ago, you'd wonder why I rated their ability so highly! :D

My mate who is a DJ signed mine, the only person I could find on the day who had a degree (graphic design)! No problems with the application but it was a same-day job with the extra fee and it wasn't my first passport.

It is essentially (for Engineering) are you a member of a professional body with enforced ethical standards - i.e. they thow you out if you breach them.

I am an MIMechE and a CEng so I can, and I would not charge - the two year rule effectively means I can only do it for friends and colleagues.

There is an endless debate about the dfifference between an Engineer (Designs the washing machine) and a Technician (fixes the washing machine) and most electricians I would class as Technicians.

It's the British class system, which we have had for ever, and which has caused us grief for ever.

It's the way some people sneer at those "in trade".

It's the way that we believe the only "worthwhile" thing people can do after school if they want further qualifications is to go to university and get a degree.

Unless and until this country loses its bias against technicians, against vocational qualifications, we are always going to be on the back foot competing against countries such as Germany.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back