passport signing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your countersignatory should be a professional person or a person of good standing in the community.

•engineer (with professional qualifications)

Would a time served Electrician with city and quilds qualify
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is an unclear area, generally they deem 'professional person' someone who has a degree and is in a 'position of responsibility'

So the egit who studied public media and cultural studies and now teaches PSHE in a school because that is about all they are capable of is deemed 'professional' the fact that as an Electrician with qualifications equivalent to a degree and having to daily carry huge amounts of responsibility you are still not deemed 'professional'

WHAT A LOAD OF *******S!!!!

I still sign passport forms as I still hold my teaching cert and degree in mathematics and I run my own business.

Never had anycome back, the difference now is that as a teacher we did it for free, now just like Doctors, Solicitors etc I charge!!

Who you can ask to be your countersignatory

Your countersignatory should:

* have known you for at least two years
* live in the UK

Your countersignatory should not:

* be related to you by birth or marriage
* be in a personal relationship with you
* live at the same address as you
* work for the Identity and Passport Service

Your countersignatory should be a professional person or a person of good standing in the community. The list that follows gives examples of the type of person that would be suitable. If you are not sure who to ask you can call the IPS Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000.

* accountant
* airline pilot
* articled clerk of a limited company
* assurance agent of recognised company
* bank/building society official
* barrister
* chairman/director of limited company
* chiropodist
* commissioner of oaths
* councillor (local or county)
* civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for IPS
* dentist
* director/manager of a VAT-registered charity
* director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
* engineer (with professional qualifications)
* financial services intermediary (eg a stockbroker or insurance broker)
* fire service official
* funeral director
* insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
* journalist
* Justice of the Peace
* legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
* licensee of public house
* local government officer
* manager/personnel officer (of a limited company)
* member, associate or fellow of a professional body
* Member of Parliament
* Merchant Navy officer
* minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
* nurse (RGN and RMN)
* officer of the armed services (active or retired)
* optician
* paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)
* person with honours (an OBE or MBE, for example)
* pharmacist
* photographer (professional)
* police officer
* Post Office official
* president/secretary of a recognised organisation
* Salvation Army officer
* social worker
* solicitor
* surveyor
* teacher, lecturer
* trade union officer
* travel agent (qualified)
* valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)
* Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers
care of direct.gov

So if your electrician is a member, associate or fellow of a professional body or plays with feet ;)
They can!

Sponsored Links
... as an Electrician with qualifications equivalent to a degree ...
That's a pretty big claim.

Do you actually know any electricians? I only ask because I know hundreds and many of them can barely read and write!

I still sign passport forms

Big business in your part of the world, isn't it?

#14 on the list of examples would apply to any self-employed person who is VAT registered.

oh ffs.. if the pub landlord can sign it.. why can't a sparky who's not NICEIC or equivalent member?

How come a journalist can sign it?
Where's the prestige in being a journalist?

"licensee of public house"

Technically the licensee of the public house is usually the company that owns it. They have the premises license. A person can only hold a personal license. These are the same for public houses and off licenses.

So as a personal license holder, I can sign them. :D

I have done in the past anyway :D

i signed one for someone last month, only to be sent a letter asking for my qualification details or words to that effect. It turns out that based on my engineering qualifications alone which are not degree level i cannot sign, but due to being in a managerial position i can because i am in a 'position of authority'

its A LOAD OF OLD COBBLERS.

It's like an episode of grumpy old men on here. Has no one got anything else better to be doing with their lives?

oh ffs.. if the pub landlord can sign it.. why can't a sparky who's not NICEIC or equivalent member?

I'm amazed that people think that somehow Electricians would be able to sign passport forms. :eek:

Incidentally, the NIC is not a professional body. The IEE is (although perhaps this would be contingent on professional registration).

Engineering clearly relates to degree level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back