Pat testing help

So if someone asks a polite genuine question they are a Numpty?

Sorry I wasn't born as intelligent as you were. I thought everyone of us learnt things as we went through life.

Sad BAS**RD.

Back up there, sonny!
Wasn't me that called you a numpty, was it?

Sponsored Links
Grizzly,
sorry it wasn't directed at you but JACKC.
Just asked a genuine question in a polite manner and was insulted for my effort.
I'm normally not easily offended but feel I took the bait.
This kind of attitude can put some people off asking a question to which they don't know the answer for fear of being ridiculed or insulted. This in turn can lead them to carry out a task which could ultimately prove dangerous or they don't get something repaired/looked at which could be dangerous

BTW, thanks for the 'sonny' comment. Makes me feel young again! :LOL: :LOL:

I would buy the Code of Practise for the in Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment. It is from the IET and is what the exam is based on. From reading page 1 you would see that "anything that is plugged into or connected to a fixed electrical installation require PAT testing". Then the Numpties who keep posting on here that it is not a portable appliance might stop putting that rediculous comment in this forum. .
Before you start calling people numties maybe you should quote the law and not a Code Of Practice.

The Electricity at Work Regulations, The Provision & Use of Work Equipment Regulations and The Health & Safety at Work Regulations make no reference to Portable Appliances or Portable Appliance Testing. There is also no legal requirement to carry out any electrical testing on appliances whether they are portable or not.

Grizzly,
sorry it wasn't directed at you but JACKC.
Just asked a genuine question in a polite manner and was insulted for my effort.
I'm normally not easily offended but feel I took the bait.
This kind of attitude can put some people off asking a question to which they don't know the answer for fear of being ridiculed or insulted. This in turn can lead them to carry out a task which could ultimately prove dangerous or they don't get something repaired/looked at which could be dangerous

BTW, thanks for the 'sonny' comment. Makes me feel young again! :LOL: :LOL:

Fair enough.
Glad I could help you regain your lost youth! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Oh that was lost a long time ago but your comment did raise a vague memory, at least I think it was a memory...
or was it just wishful thinking?
:LOL: :LOL:

Connie,
apoligies if I effended you, having just logged on, found the comments and reread your post I noticed it was a genuine question and not the usual "Numpty" post stating "its not portable", so doesn't need PAT testing. It does if its connected to a fixed installation, the COP explains it.
Pens, isn't BS7671 a code of practise and not law. EAWR are law and use BS7671 and also the COP for electrical inspection and testing of electrical equipment as a standard. These non regularity guides are used in a court of law when something goes very wrong. I was merely pointing out the statement on page 1 that anything connected to or plugged into a fixed installation needed PAT testing. If you don't work to these guidelines then you are asking for trouble.

BS7671 is a british standard, a recognised standard to work to. It covers fixed wiring, not portable appliances or the actual fixed equipment which will be to another standard.
The EAWR do require systems to be maintained to prevent danger or injury, when equipment is connected to a supply it becomes part of that system.

Connie,
apoligies if I effended you, having just logged on, found the comments and reread your post I noticed it was a genuine question and not the usual "Numpty" post stating "its not portable", so doesn't need PAT testing.

Accepted, even with your mis-spellings! :LOL:

anything connected to or plugged into a fixed installation needed PAT testing.
If that’s what you tell your clients then you are lying to them.

If you don't work to these guidelines then you are asking for trouble
And that would be both lying and scare mongering.

Now if you said that all appliances need to be maintained to prevent danger or injury to comply with the EAWR then you'd be telling the truth.
PAT testing is one form of maintenance can be used to show you are complying with that particular regulation for portable appliances.
To be pedantic - by definition, you cannot portable appliance test anything that isn't portable. However the requirement is still there to maintain it.
You can't just stick something on an FCU and pretend it isn't there anymore!

Now if you said that all appliances need to be maintained to prevent danger or injury to comply with the EAWR then you'd be telling the truth.
Absolutely. And there’s a world of difference between a proper maintenance regime based on the risks that a particular piece of electrical equipment poses and the mindless testing of everything with a plug.

To be pedantic - by definition, you cannot portable appliance test anything that isn't portable. However the requirement is still there to maintain it.
IMO it’s not being pedantic. It shows that you understand the requirements of the regulations, unlike most of the people/companies that are selling PAT.

Perhaps Pens is being the Numpty I was reffering to earlier. Getting board of this now so shall not bother with this 1 anymore.

Sparks 123, thanks for the responses and for explaing it a bit better than I was.

Perhaps Pens is being the Numpty I was reffering to earlier. Getting board of this now so shall not bother with this 1 anymore.
One of my customers has around 23,000 UK employees in one part of their organisation.

That equates to around 18,000 mobile phones each with at least one mains charger. Based on £ 1.00/test I would love to be a fly on the wall when you try and sell your PAT services to their technical engineers who understand the requirements of the EAWR.

I’m sure they would find you a much more appropriate name than Numtey

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back