Pat testing help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I have just started to do our pat testing at work the guy who does it is training me .

Does anyone have have any info they can send me or download ie Training so i can learn more .

Also when we were doing a pat test on a 110 v compressor during the run test it kept tripping the 110v / 240 v transformer So my boss done the test with the compressor turned off . Is this ok ?

Cheers
Danny

Sponsored Links
PAT stands for.......................has he told you that much. It doesnt sound like you are being trained well from what you have said

Sorry is was a mini portable compressore that was tested , When we test 110v we need to use the transformer .

try this book its a good starting book on PAT

Brian Scaddan - PAT Portable Appliance Testing

published by Newnespress (elsevier)
ISBN 0 7506 5916 5

Sponsored Links
Sorry is was a mini portable compressore that was tested , When we test 110v we need to use the transformer .

At which point was it switched off?
It depends wether or not you and your boss both decide if it requires a functional test ensuring that the appliance isn't breaking down over time inside and taking more current.
What type of plug is on the appliance - is it a ceeform? What current rating is the plug? How many watts is the compressor rated at? What type of PAT tester are you using? Does the PAT tester plug into a 110v supply to test 110v?

Portable appliance is one of the groups of items which have to be maintained for compliance with electricity at work act. There are more groups within the inspection and testing of in-service electrical equipment.
First job is to find out what you are expected to test.

Because it is easier to test with a all in one PATester than using other means we tend to test items which do not fall within the true definition of a portable appliance. For example the simple fridge. But as items become more complex the ability to test without some form of dismantling becomes impossible for example complex fridge/freezer with auto defrost.

The compressor you talk about may fall into either category. Where any contactor or relay is used to connect the motor then to test without power would not work. However if simple switch then as long as switched on you could test it. Anything with a timer for example the de-frost on freezer effectively stops us using a PATester. You could not test a washing machine. The fridge if switched off as you start testing in that room will most likely have warmed up enough for the motor to run when you come to test it and so long as the motor runs there is no problem.

Where the testing is being managed by some one who is qualified and selected items for which a pre-determined test criteria has been worked out then I see no reason why a semi-skilled person should not do the work.

We used the top of range robin tester and this allowed one to enter a code which selected which functions were used on each test. It also auto-recorded the results so if the fridge was not running during the test the manager could see the error at a glance.

However automated testers are slow and using a manual tester one can double the items tested in a day. So using a skilled person can be same price as semi skilled so why use a semi skilled person?

Although very commendable to increase your skills you can't unlearn things and I have many times had to remind my boss I am skilled and will have to act that way and if he sends me to the job I will likely have to condemn it. If he sends someone who could not be expected to realise the dangers he could do the work without having to pass comment on the problems.

In my case it was doing work for a crane erection company who were well know to cut corners. Because I held a C&G 2391 I could not pretend I did not know it was wrong.

If you pass any exams on PATesting i.e. C&G 2377 you will have no excuses for breaking the rules and often companies expect you to break the rules all they want is a sticker on everything to satisfy the H&SE and are not really bothered if done correctly. It goes wrong they will say it was your fault and you will say I was doing as I was told and all put down to an unfortunate misunderstanding. That will not hold if it can be proved you did know you were doing it wrong.

I would buy the Code of Practise for the in Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment. It is from the IET and is what the exam is based on. From reading page 1 you would see that "anything that is plugged into or connected to a fixed electrical installation require PAT testing". Then the Numpties who keep posting on here that it is not a portable appliance might stop putting that rediculous comment in this forum.
It also shows how to test without using a PAT tester and by using a low resistance ohmeter and an insulation tester. It can be done with a multi function installation tester.
Sits back and wait for the Numpties to post :evil: :D

Thanks guys ! breezer was as much help as a toffee hammer but the rest were a great help

F.A.O. JACKC,

"anything that is plugged into or connected to a fixed electrical installation require PAT testing".

Surely if something is connected to a fixed electrical installation then it is not portable so falls outside the scope of PAT testing?
Admittedly we have a shot-blast cabinet in work which is fed via a 13A plug but it is certainl;y not portable though it does get tested as such. My point is that if something is 'hard-wired' via a FCU or similar then it is not portable and subject to routine testing and inspection?

It may not be portable in the true sense of the word, however there is still a duty of an employer to maintain all systems to prevent danger or injury. This includes items fed from fused spurs.

F.A.O. JACKC,

"anything that is plugged into or connected to a fixed electrical installation require PAT testing".

Surely if something is connected to a fixed electrical installation then it is not portable so falls outside the scope of PAT testing?
Admittedly we have a shot-blast cabinet in work which is fed via a 13A plug but it is certainl;y not portable though it does get tested as such. My point is that if something is 'hard-wired' via a FCU or similar then it is not portable and subject to routine testing and inspection?

Numpty 1

I don't think that is called for

Conny did walk right into that one. :D

IEE CoP page 1:
"Other than the fixed installation, all electrical equipment in an installation, whether permanently connected or connected by a plug and socket-outlet, should be inspected and tested in accordance with the recommendations contained in this Code of Practice."

IEE CoP page 1:
"Other than the fixed installation, all electrical equipment in an installation, whether permanently connected or connected by a plug and socket-outlet, should be inspected and tested in accordance with the recommendations contained in this Code of Practice."

So if someone asks a polite genuine question they are a Numpty?

Sorry I wasn't born as intelligent as you were. I thought everyone of us learnt things as we went through life.

Sad BAS**RD.

F.A.O. JACKYC

Just re-read my reply and can understand that YOU may have mis-read the point I was trying to make.

then it is not portable and subject to routine testing and inspection?

Whereas what I should have wrote is,

'...then it is not portable BUT IS subject to routine testing and inspection.'

I was not inferring that it should not be tested and inspected at all.
Pardon me for not being a bigheaded knowall such as yourself.

Spark123, thank you for your civil reply. Didn't cost you anything did it?
Politeness never does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back