pat testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi lads ive just started a new job at a care home and the pat test is due do i need to take a test now before i do the test thanx lads

Sponsored Links
If your new job involves PA testing then you should receive the appropriate training and more importantly the calibrated equipment from your employers.
If you got the job on the understanding that you are a properly trained and equipped PA tester then that might amount to fraud.
I assume its the former and not the latter. ;)

yes i got the job then was told i was to do the pat testing all the new equipment is supplied but was asking about having to take a test as on the video they gave me kept mentioning a test for pa testing that is all thanks

What job did you get?
What tests do you need to take?
Sounds like the application and interview process, wasn't up to much if....
A) part of your employment requires you to perform PAT testing and you were unaware of this.
B) your potential employer failed to ask the relevant questions, that would make both parties aware you were unsuitability for the position.

Sponsored Links
yes i got the job then was told i was to do the pat testing all the new equipment is supplied but was asking about having to take a test as on the video they gave me kept mentioning a test for pa testing that is all thanks
In that case shouldn't the question be directed at your new employers?

i was given the job as handyman around the care home but was not aware that i was required to do the pat testing until 2 weeks into the job when i was handed the new pa tester and the relevant paperwork and a video to watch but my question is do i have to take a test or not thanks

i was given the job as handyman around the care home but was not aware that i was required to do the pat testing until 2 weeks into the job when i was handed the new pa tester and the relevant paperwork and a video to watch but my question is do i have to take a test or not thanks

No test required. You are your employers competent person and as such you can do the PAT.

Do you know how to use the equipment supplied?

thanks for that john very helpful m8 yes i do know how to use the equipment many thanx agaim m8

No specific test is required - but I would be concerned that someone not properly trained was expected to conduct the several electrical tests required for each item of equipment.
Does the video take you through the whole process from separating out class 1 and class 2 equipment: initial determination of what the equipment is used for - therefore determining what the re-test timescale should be.
Then through the visual examination process of the various cables plugs and sockets and only then onto the actual electrical tests.
Do you know how to use the meter - interpret the results and then finally how to complete the paperwork.

So no test is required but a good understanding of what you are doing is essential.
Remember it is you who will be signing the equipment as safe!!

If it was not detailed in the job description, you do not have to perform the tests.
If training is available and it is something that you don't mind and feel confident in doing, I don't see a problem though!

I have written a Portable Appliance Testing Database in VB. I use it in the course of my employment, and would be happy to provide a copy FOC to MattyCB or anyone else who would like it. I don't know whether the Mods would allow me to put my e-mail address up for contact, or whether it would have to be by private mail.

Sounds very much like the package they got at work - portable battery powered tester (simple type with "go/no-go" lights), plus training course, and in this case a 20 questions test to fill in and post back. The whole lot was part of a package.

I only agreed on the understanding that I would not be the only one "qualified" - needless to say, no-one else is and I don't do any testing - well not officially at work. In fact the unit done more foreigners than work testing :rolleyes:

Must get round to having it recalibrated some time.

My biggest concern is the low voltage and current used for the tests. I know there have been some "discussions" about this, and the faults that don't show up at low voltage but which do show up at "mains" or higher voltages.

s on the video they gave me kept mentioning a test for pa testing that is all thanks
There is a course which includes a test at the end. It's one of those multiple choice things where you can have the book of answers open in front of you while completing it.
The only real criteria for passing is the ability to read.

My biggest concern is the low voltage and current used for the tests. I know there have been some "discussions" about this, and the faults that don't show up at low voltage but which do show up at "mains" or higher voltages.
Battery operated 'pat testers' are useless junk, and with the massive prevalence of Class II equipment now, there is actually very little that can be tested with those battery operated efforts.

That BattPat thing apparently uses a test current of 150mA for earth continuity - meaning the smallest whisker of wire connected would show as a pass. It's insulation test of 350V is also feeble, as that is pretty much the same as mains voltage.

That BattPat thing apparently uses a test current of 150mA for earth continuity - meaning the smallest whisker of wire connected would show as a pass. It's insulation test of 350V is also feeble, as that is pretty much the same as mains voltage.
I thought code of practice stipulated 500vdc my old copy 10.3. Also 612.3.2 states 500vdc.

612.2.1 states 200 ma min test current but the old code of practice states 20 to 200 mA while flexing cable or 25A for 5 to 20 seconds.

I have had a problem where my PAT tester with calibration certificate did not test to new values in my case it was after BS7671:2001 came out lucky I found out before the HSE visit.

One can get away with poor testing for years but when something does go wrong the HSE will check all ones records. I was on the receiving end when some one took a faulty cable out of the fitters locker and got a belt was taken to hospital who informed the HSE.

The poor fitter got the brunt of it for having the cable hidden in his locker. Personally I would have blamed the guy who removed it from the locker but until then I had never realised how important the faulty equipment register and repair register was and locks on the quarantine area.

I was told off for not having a notice stating "quarantine area do not remove any items" or words to that effect.

I was lucky I had kept records and had not just stuck labels on items. I had at that time been PAT testing for around 10 years and after I have PAT tested for another 10 years and that is the only time HSE has ever been through my records. Likely if there had been no accident then it would never have been checked.

But it did point out to me need for paperwork. Remember with any heath and safety issue it must be in writing. email, SMS, or paper does not matter but verbal alone is not good enough.

So if you feel you need a refresher course write to employer stating my training was in xxxx and since then there have been a change in regulations and I request a retraining to C&G 2377-22 exam standard. And keep a copy.

There is no legal requirement to have any qualifications but it's in both yours and your firms interest to be able to show you have been trained.

It says you must have the skill required to do the work safely however if anything goes wrong that clearly points to you not having the skill required so at that point it becomes far easier to be able to produce some paper qualification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back