PAT visual

(although if that size cable was <2metres and fixed, with a moulded plug, a 13A fuse would be ok?)
It would then be compliant with BS1363-1, but I have no idea what 'rules', if any, apply to PATesting.
As for the unsleeved pins, then if the lead is old there is no actual requirement to fail it as regs are not retrospective? http://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/non-sleeved-plugs.phpbut it would make sense to change the plug.
Again, I have no idea what 'rules', if any, apply to PATesting - but it would certainly make sense to change the plug.

Ironically, if that lead had been <2m with a moulded (unsleeved pins) plug and a 13A fuse, if (in the interests of 'safety') you had cut that plug off and replaced it with a new rewirable plug (with sleeved pins), you would seemingly have had to reduce the fuse to 10A or less - don't ask me to explain/justify that!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
it might be one of the terms of a Premises Licence.
Unfortunately there are many people responsible for the ongoing safety of installations who feel that they have discharged that duty by insisting on PAT testing of everything connected to that installation.

There is also no legal directive to inspect and test fixed wiring either
Agreed, the legal imperative is to maintain the installation in a safe condition.

I'm a bit negative about PAT testing, having seen numbers of perfectly good products rejected because they couldn't be successfully PAT tested, or by inappropriate testing, usually measuring leakage current instead of IR.
One office in which I worked employed tyhe cheapest PAT company, which turned out to be an elderly couple with a test instrument they'd bought on ebay - he operated the tester, she wrote labels. When I asked them why they'd failed an item, I was told "The green light didn't come on to show a pass"!

Agreed, the legal imperative is to maintain the installation in a safe condition.
Indeed, and, in either case, although it may help in 'mitigation', I'm not at all sure that having apparently 'passed' an EICR or PAT test would be a very effective defence against an action for having an unsafe installation.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Even the best of us can make mistakes, what we hope is our mistakes don't injure anyone, we can't unlearn so once one has qualifications we can't then claim we took reasonable care if we didn't.

I have had many arguments about testing and putting on a sticker, "Passed Safety Test" when all we have done is check the electric bit, so if the guard is missing as an electrician we may not even know it should be there. Even the electrical side, I had new angle grinders where the switch could be locked in, there was a high chance they could be plugged in while switched on. It was brought to the attention of the safety officer and all the Bosch angle grinders were returned and we had a different make.

It seems German firms are good at ignoring or hiding from regulations.

I would be very inclined to fail it. The regs are not retrospective but those plugs are bloody dangerous.

Came across one fairly recently - without realising as it was plugged in, unplugged it and gave myself a nice belt. Turns out my technique for removing plugs must be the reason sleeved pins were introduced!

... having seen numbers of perfectly good products rejected because they couldn't be successfully PAT tested, or by inappropriate testing ...
I have some "surge protected" extension leads I got because of that. The electricians had this thing that everything had to be tested at 500V - above the clamping voltage of the surge protectors which caused a failure. Once they'd been scrapped, I had them retest them at 250V showing that everything was fine - but we casually didn't mention that bit to manglement as I "disposed" of them :whistle:

I do find failed items can be a problem. Once failed it has to go into quarantine until repaired, there was a huge notice on the wire mesh gate to electricians compound. "This is a quarantine area not items must be removed from this area." and before I could allow anything out it had to be re-tested and the plant number on the quarantine register marked to show it had been reissued and it had to be re-entered on the equipment register. In other words there was a good paper trail.

It we had done some thing like replace the plug that was easy, but it some one took it out of service because there was no earth, and on investigation it was found to be class II then there is a problem, you have to prove the other tester was wrong. Same in reverse find that the mag mount drill is not class II even when it has the double square then you are saying all the testers before you got it wrong. What had happened was the drill was class II but the mount was class I. I wrote mag mount changed in the equipment register to explain why it was now class I rather than point the finger at all those before. Every item had it's own plant number which never changed.

I got into trouble with the HSE on one job because there was not a quarantine notice on the door of the electricians workshop, I also got in trouble for leaving it unlocked, however it turned out the extension lead in question had not been removed from my workshop but the fitters workshop so I didn't end up in court. But until then I had never thought about having to put up notices or lock the door.

I walk around other premises and see failed stickers, why? It it has failed it needs to be put in quarantine and locked away, so why bother with a sticker? I red failed sticker means "This item is not up to the prescribed standard but you are expected to continue using it when no one is looking." Where due to size you can't take it into quarantine then you lock it off and place a notice on it to stop anyone removing the lock. Many I know cut the plug off, I use a tie wrap to hold something over the plug pins so it can't be plugged in if a moulded plug, the covers you find on new equipment plugs are great, you need a tool to remove them once tie wrapped on so that is to my mind good enough.

I tried to find stickers, and failed that say passed and failed in both English and Welsh, having the Pass in English only OK, but fail would have to be bilingual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back