1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Pavers laid on builders sand

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Jo443, 1 Feb 2020.

1. Jo443

Jo443

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I have just finished building a small raised patio area.
    I was recommended by a handyman I know that I could lay a sand base and then just sprinkle some cement on before i laid each slab (400mm x 400mm) for stability.

We laid a base of hardcore and then just about 1cm of sand, flattened it and then sprinkled some cement powder on before laying the slabs.

However just realized that we have made a mistake insofar as we used builders sand rather than sharp sand for the base above the hardcore.
    After some reading I can see this was obviously the wrong thing to do. What I want to know is if we need to take all the pavers up and relay or if it will likely be fine. Im hoping that because it was just a thin layer over hardcore it wont be a problem??

After reading through articles I can see we have clearly done it wrong so I am not trying to find out if this is a viable method. Just wondering if it will likely be okay or if it all needs redoing? Thanks

2. sircerebus666

sircerebus666

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Building sand doesn't lock together like sharp sand so it's no good as a base

Your handyman is not wrong you can just lay slabs on a sand base or use a mortar mix

You could see how the patio fairs and leave it or
    personally I would be lifting the slabs and starting again chances are you will have to do this in the future anyway

Don't kick yourself too much we all make mistakes - we're all human after all

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wgt52

wgt52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I made the same mistake... It's been 4 years since done. Ground levelled with power compactor, weed fabric, 2 inches of sand compacted by hand then power compactor. Not moved in all that time even as use as motor cycle standing.

what I'm saying is how firm is the compacting of the sand to make the difference.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Jo443

Jo443

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. Both of those are really useful, also just nice to hear that other folks make mistakes too. Its going to have a shed standing over about half of it so im tempted to just lift up the slabs infront of the shed that will be walked on.
    Ill think about it over the weekend and then decide on a course of action on monday.
    Sircerebus666 might be right though, might just add to my peace of mind to redo it all now.

5. scbk

scbk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Someone I know made the same mistake, slabs laid on soft sand.
    He may aswell have laid the slabs on mud, they were all over the place, so he had to re-do it.

6. scott0904

scott0904

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I'm not having a go at your method. I had a professional landscaper out and laid Indian sandstone mixed size slabs on a sand base. Type 1, sharp sand and all was compressed.

Two years later I had to have him out and rectify the loose slabs

7. Sponsored Links
  8. scott0904

scott0904

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. scott0904

scott0904

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think they should be laid on a concrete bed as there is no stability in this way of doing it. In 5 years I think it's unacceptable to have them all pulled up and reset and repointed twice.

10. sircerebus666

sircerebus666

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can use a mortar bed as another way of laying slabs but not concrete

• Like Like x 1
  11. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My Indian sandstone is laid on 100mm mortar mix on top of 120mm of concrete base, proper job.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jo443

Jo443

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In the end I took them all up and relaid on a bed of sharp sand

• Like Like x 1
Sponsored Links