Pay cut

Watch your P`s and Q`s. Don`t be late or take an early bath. And you might survive.

But not taking a cut would put you on a shortlist as said.

If you do get "done" make sure you get the amount due, they got my age wrong so that dropped the payoff. Then they used a wrong wage value and saved another couple of grand.
I got it all back though with persistence and bulk mailing the directors and the general staff emails.

Then got a tribunal and won unfair dismissal and got another lump sum.

Moral is dont give up.

Good luck and do let us know.

Sponsored Links
And remember the payout is not going to be your final salary the figure is worked on The government set limits according to age and service.

We got the usual 'take a pay cut and it may save jobs' bumf a few years ago. Took 3.5% cut for 18 months but 2 lads still lost their jobs and 2 others were never filled when they left. Then the 3.5% was re-instated but we were told there would be no pay rise that year, (usually in April). The next year pay rise was looming and we were told that it had been put back till the next January as this was now the official date for wage 'negotiations'. Now have a new branch manager who has taken on 3 people after a total of 7 have left/moved to other branches. These 3 are semi-skilled and so on a lower rate of pay yet he expects them to do the same as those on full skilled pay.
Should add, before all this we were amongst the higher earners in our field in the North West. We are now amongst the lower paid even though we have made good profits each year and won some major contracts. :evil:

Sponsored Links
I seem to recall the workers at JCB back in 2008 taking a pay cut and still ended up losing their jobs,so its not always the best route to take.
Indeed they did. However, it did prolong the necessity to implement the major redundancy plan. Unfortunately the construction industry ended up on it's a**e so the inevetible job cuts happened.
That said, JCB did offer very good packages - much to the delight of the local car dealers.

A funny old world innit.

I'm not sure of the legality if it is applied to individual(s).
If it is applied to a section of the workforce, for instance all drivers or similar, then the normal route would be via negotiation with unions.
Then eventually, I believe the employer can give three months notice of intended instigation of change in conditions.
After that it kicks in.

What all Brit companies want is a foreign workforce on short term contracts so they can pay peanuts and hire and fire at will. (poor old Will). The Brit workforce can all go onto benefits.

If it is applied to a section of the workforce, for instance all drivers or similar, then the normal route would be via negotiation with unions.
Then eventually, I believe the employer can give three months notice of intended instigation of change in conditions.
After that it kicks in.

"ALL DRIVERS" your a comedian, been there tried it got stabbed in the back, out of roughly 250 drivers one approached me and said "i've been on strike before, it turned nasty, i dont want to go on strike again" which is fair enough at least you know where you stand with the guy.

My problem was with the other cretins who say "yeah lets go for it" then phone the management on the morning of the negotiating talks and say they are available to drive, "BACKSTABBERS" spineless little $h1tz!!!!

After that it kicks in.

"ALL DRIVERS" your a comedian, been there tried it got stabbed in the back, out of roughly 250 drivers one approached me and said "i've been on strike before, it turned nasty, i dont want to go on strike again" which is fair enough at least you know where you stand with the guy.

My problem was with the other cretins who say "yeah lets go for it" then phone the management on the morning of the negotiating talks and say they are available to drive, "BACKSTABBERS" spineless little $h1tz!!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to upset anybody. I was just using it as an example of a group within the workforce. I could just as easily have used machinist, packer, secretary, etc.

... then you can cut costs (staff included) and raise prices.... something you can't do as an employee !!!

Slight flaw with your plan IaM is that you are not guaranteed customers staying loyal, particularly if you raise your prices! :cry:

After that it kicks in.

Sorry, didn't mean to upset anybody. I was just using it as an example of a group within the workforce. I could just as easily have used machinist, packer, secretary, etc.

Hey dont take it personally, my gripe is with what i thought were my work mates, however shortly after Asda made 75 of us redundant (2005) best thing that ever happened to me, otherwise i would still be there doing maximum hours, back then 71hrs a week equalled about £35k & no life.

... then you can cut costs (staff included) and raise prices.... something you can't do as an employee !!!

Slight flaw with your plan IaM is that you are not guaranteed customers staying loyal, particularly if you raise your prices! :cry:

worst possible suggestion at the moment IM ..... businesses are going bankrupt by the lorryload.

Joe 90 you are right regarding cheap labour that can be hired and fired what companies do is have a few select workers controlling the ever changeing workforce , one slight saviour in my eyes and i cant believe its happened during a tory gvnt is that temps after 12 weeks get same rights ,so its not quite as attractive as it was .

Joe 90 you are right regarding cheap labour that can be hired and fired what companies do is have a few select workers controlling the ever changeing workforce , one slight saviour in my eyes and i cant believe its happened during a tory gvnt is that temps after 12 weeks get same rights ,so its not quite as attractive as it was .
Which sounds good but as always there are ways round it. I am a contractor on site where they employ temps through an agency. A lot of these temps have been on the site for a number of years, however, every few weeks they are 'released' for a short while and then taken back on. This will continue to happen and still allow employers to carry on the way they do now. You can guarantee that any temp who tries to quote the new law will be released and not asked to come back in the future. In a nutshell its a hollow gesture.

And remember the payout is not going to be your final salary the figure is worked on The government set limits according to age and service.

What you really mean is "the payout does not have to be based on your final salary "

I have been made redundant five times and all the companies paid me out on my actual salary but things are getting nastier and I can imagine very small companies might do what you say.

Sponsored Links
Back