PC Case modding - cutting thin metals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am seeking some friendly advice on a choice of a tool to cut (with a good amount of precision) thin metals, namely PC cases.

The particular case I am trying to hack up now has steel that is about 1-2mm thick. The shape of the case is a bit intricate thus I need a tool with a blade that is not too big, hopefully about 5cm in diameter (2 in). And the cutting should be done with a tool ideally with a disc, so I can cut surfaces 90 degrees to the direction of the person holding it.

I thought about getting a dremel 3000 from amazon, but I am unsure whether it will do the job.

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-3000...8&qid=1388155308&sr=1-216&keywords=multi+tool

Any advice will be highly welcome!.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes it will do the job but =

the composite disks are quite delicate so take your time.
You can get diamond ones but they are all less than one inch diameter.

I am not sure if there is a bigger tool available.
Perhaps someone else will advise.

Also - I would not call 1 - 2mm steel 'thin' metal.

I actually dont think a dremel will do the job, and if it does it'll take an extremely long time. Any time I've tried similiar I've ended up with a groove that just gets more polished as I try with no real progress. I have the regular discs that come with the tool. You could consider a jigsaw with a metal blade and go slowly after drilling pilot holes with a hss bit.

Sponsored Links
Last time I made up a panel front in an enclosure I used a hole saw to start with and then a jigsaw (with metal blade) to cut out just inside the hole, then filed out the holes to the correct size. Enclosures are around 1mm thick steel.

If they are circular holes, then you are better off with a chassis punch

FOR EXAMPLE

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If they are circular holes, then you are better off with a chassis punch
ShowImage.ashx

You can get punches in all sorts of shape but IMO they are really only worth the expense if you need lots of holes the same size and shape.

Plasma cutter is the only real tool for cutting out intricate shapes in thin metal sheets, fairly neat cuts that can be filed up in a fraction of the time it would take with a dermal etc

Plasma cutter is the only real tool for cutting out intricate shapes in thin metal sheets, fairly neat cuts that can be filed up in a fraction of the time it would take with a dermal etc

Laser cutter is even better.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back