Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Previous owner has used a very thick layer of paint on external pebbledash render.

Over time, the paint has lifted away from the wall and in most areas a simple prod can crack the paint.

I’ve started to use a wire brush and gentle tapping to crack and remove the majority of the paint. However, results are inconsistent. In some cases the paint is still bonded to the wall.

If I were to paint over, the thickness of the remaining paint is likely to be noticeable.

How would you recommended removing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
Strongly stuck on paint is good paint. I wouldn't remove them. The imperfections will likely to be noticeable only by you. From a regular distance, no one will be able to tell. I would suggest using primer to improve adhesion and sealing.

The repaint shouldn't be limited a single attempt. You can repeat the process for as many times as you have the patience for. Over time, the repaint will become small spot repairs and might even become fun to do.

Sponsored Links
The delaminating paint needs to be investigated. You may have water running behind the masonry paint. It may be entering via cracks.

As per @footprints ' post I would use a pressure washer and wire brush. Unfortunately, you won't be able to feather out the inevitable steps unless you use a seriously high build paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back