Pedestal sink too far from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a plumber installing a new boiler and bathroom suite - he is currently on week 5 of a "5-day job".
Today he informed us that the pedestal sink (Fabian from B&Q) won't fit against the wall because of boxed pipework from toilet. The box protrudes 17.5cm from the wall.
The space between the toilet and bathroom is quite small, approx 68cm - we cannot find any decent size basins that will fit - the average distance between pedestal and wall of the B&Q range is approx 12cm.

The dimensions of the Fabian are H860mm x W520mm x D420mm - 11cm between pedestal and wall - we are looking for a similar sized basin but with a wider gap between pedestal. Any suggestions ?

Thanks, Alan

Sponsored Links
Is it too late to suggest a wall hung basin without a pedestal, or would that make the pipes visible?
John :)

Removing a section of the boxwork is a possibility - this will give us a few extra centimetres.

John, it is not possible to have a wall hung basin.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
thats why you don't run a soil pipe behind a basin, i hope you have checked he is a RGI if he's fitting a new boiler, 5 weeks for a 5 day job i hope he's not on day rate

Call trading standards...........they can't fit your sink but maybe they'll help you concerning this plumber :eek:

you don't say why a wall hung basin is not puossible. Why not?

What about a half-pedestal basin?

h-bathrooms-tc-mini-10609-10920_zoom.jpg

Is it possible to put in a vanity basin and cupboard? Or perhaps make a cupboard to fit the basin?

Why is a wall-hung basin "not possible?"

why don't you fit the w/c where the basin should be then there would be no need for the bulky boxing behind the basin

Thanks for the replies - I would have replied sooner but real life intervened again. I have found a vanity unit that will fit,
just need to remove a few inches from the back and it will fit onto the ledge.

why don't you fit the w/c where the basin should be then there would be no need for the bulky boxing behind the basin

We were replacing an existing bathroom suite and weren't expecting any problems - yours is the obvious solution.

thats why you don't run a soil pipe behind a basin, i hope you have checked he is a RGI if he's fitting a new boiler, 5 weeks for a 5 day job i hope he's not on day rate

He was recommended and I didn't bother to check he is RGI registered. The good news is that we have the heating on,
so maybe in another 5 weeks we will have a finished bathroom.

Thanks a lot.

So is he a RGI? Would you know a badly installed boiler if you saw one? Just because your heating is working doesn't mean it's safe to use it. Many people seem to check out a guy selling them double glazing more thoroughly than the ones who work on their gas appliances. Isn't it worth just asking him for his Gas Safe card?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back