Pedestal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've installed a sink and pedestal. The sink is solid to the wall with the proper both ended screws but the pedastil does not attach to the basin (do not think it is supposed to). B and q Fabienne basin and pedestal.

There is about a 10mm gap between the sink and pedestal my error but don't think the pedestal is a support anyway as it is part of the set and just sits under the sink with no connection to the basin.

What should I use for he gap? Is there something other than silicon which will set hard but is white?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nope, you're right, the pedestal doesn't bear the weight of the basin but it does add support to it and stops the weight of a basin full of water plus people leaning on it from pulling it off clean off the wall.

Sponsored Links
How about refitting the basin so it touches the pedestal? You won't need to bodge it with sticky stuff then

I would shim the foot of the pedestal with a piece water resistant material shaped to match the foot print of the pedestal.

My reason for this shimming was to bring the basin level with the window ledge.

Ok. But what can I use to seal/connect the two?

Choices are small that would bride that gap and not crack or split over time. Maybe a bath seal but even then it's going to look weird and that pedestal will move, it needs to be sitting on the basin to give it a bit of support too.

Why was being level with the window so important?

I'd think you need some non compressible filler in that gap - maybe even an epoxy putty pushed well in, and then disguised with some white silicone?
Just a thought but the basin will need supporting at some time. You may not want to jack the pipes about either but I don't know if that is a factor.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back