Pendant light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new pendant light but both the wires in the light look the same, they are both in a transparent sleeve and the wires are indistinguishable. Any tips on how to proceed? I don't fancy gambling even though the odds are even!

Gareth

Sponsored Links
If the sleeved wires are going to the lamp then it doesn't matter which way round they connect to the switched live and neutral. From the sound of it the sleeving is heat resistant. Check to see if they go to the lamp before you disconnect. Also 1 of the wires should be connected to a black cable with red sleeving in old money or blue with brown sleeving. This is the switched live. The other will connect to the black neutral or blue in harmonised colours.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, the wires from the ceiling are a blue, black and the earth, do you mean I can just take my pick and wire blue or black to either of the wires in the pendant?

If the sleeved wires are going to the lamp then it doesn't matter which way round they connect to the switched live and neutral.

What if the fitting is Edison Screw as opposed to Bayonet Cap?
The centre pin of an ES lampholder should always be connected to the line conductor, never the neutral.

Gareth - when you say pendant, what exactly is it? All pendants (ceiling rose with pendant drop) I've seen have brown and blue insulated conductors.

Sponsored Links
The bulb is an edison screw one.

It is just a simple pendant light from B & Q. The instructions talk about making sure you connect live to live etc but they really are identical.

You really need to identify the conductor which goes to the centre pin. This will be your switched live.
The other conductor will terminate to the outer thread and will be the neutral.

Can you visually check which conductor connects to what?
If not then you need a multimeter.

Is there an identification number on the pendant?
E14 and E27 to BS EN 60238 are exempt from the general ruling of all line conductors terminate to the centre pin. Maybe you have one of these?

since about 1990 most E27 lampholders conforming to british standards can be wired either way round, as the outer connection is low down in the holder and is apparently shrouded enough for you not to touch the exposed thread until the lamp is out enough to disconnect.

However i would still ensure the LIVE is connected to the CENTRE contact.

edit :rolleyes:

No way of seeing as there is a metal sleeve where the wires enter the fitting. Looks like i'll be needing that multimeter. Thanks for your help.

Gareth

Fitting is E27 GLS, can I cancel my multimeter order and just wire it up?

Then as a safety precaution i'll get my wife to turn the light on!!

Or a torch bulb and a battery and a couple of pieces of wire, if you have those handy.

The wires in the transparent sleeve .

What colour are they, sometimes the white ones have black tracer lines on the side of the neutral,

or

look at the wire end on sometimes there is an inner colour under the outer colour , like a outer bull on a dartboard :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back