Penetrating damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im at my wits end and was wondering if anyone had any advice on this matter.

I live in a first floor flat within a converted victorian detached house consisting of 2 flats. We had the rendering done a couple of years back to what appears to be a good standard. I was hoping that this would resolve the damp issue and very cold issue within the flat and thats even if the heating is on. unfortunately this is not the case, if anything things appear to have got worse. The external walls are like ice and wet patches appear when it rains and of course the mould. So....i believe the external walls are not waterproof and as a result the walls are absorbing the water but its unable to breathe. can anyone advise me on how i can remedy this problem. Is it a case of employing the likes of home shield to do their thing or are there other options that wont cost me an arm and a leg???????

Sponsored Links
You need to clarify exactly what the cause of the problem is - either penetrating damp or condensation moisture

You say that you have wet patches and mould. But mould does not tend to appear on penetrating damp

Also render will make no difference to the coldness of a room and walls

Render is generally water resistant and if you have moisture coming in, then the render has either failed or there are gaps letting water in

If you have a cold room then air can condense in patches and appear to be penetrating damp

If you can't diagnose the problem yourself,then get an independent survey. The last thing you want is for a company selling a product to survey and tell you that they have a solution to the problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back