Performa 28i not starting after radiator removal - advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a very old Performa 28i Combi Boiler which has been working reasonably well over last 5 years (since I moved in) and is due to be replaced as part of the extension works which have just started. The Builder removed a radiator on Thursday morning and boiler was working fine till Friday night (both hot water and central heating). Last night around 2am, the bedroom radiator started making noises which normally comes when central heating starts and there is air in the radiator. As the heating was not on so I checked the boiler. It was on standby. I tried to start central heating. The flame light came for couple of seconds then it went off. Tried hot water and again the boiler didn't start. I left it as it as and went to sleep.

In the morning I used fill loop and tried to pressurise the system but it didn't work. At this point I asked the Builder to check the end connections of the removed radiator. He confirmed one end had come loose and was leaking water. He fixed the leak after which I have repressurised the system, have bled all radiators but the boiler is still not starting. The 50 Deg red light starts flashing within few seconds of restarting/resetting as the boiler tries to go in to preheat mode. I have bled the pump and checked it's spindle which seems to be working as well.

The manual states 50 deg light means a fan or flue fault and suggests either air pressure switch or pcb replacement. I can't help thinking it is to do with the leaked radiator end as it was working fine till last evening so should not require any component replaced. I need it to last for another 3-4 months as a new system boiler will be fitted by then. Not sure if there are any other checks or tests I can do before calling in external help. Any advise on this issue will be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yes, the fan is running when the boiler is started.

I have also drained the system fully again and refilled it to see if it helps but same fault is there.

Sponsored Links
I have done some further internet search and have tested the pressure switch for continuity at PCB using multimeter and it appears to be faulty. It may be coincidence that it happened on the same day the system got drained or the draining may have caused it. Either way, will need air pressure switch replaced. Hopefully it would sort the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back